[Heritage] Happy New Year from Oregon Heritage

INFO Heritage * OPRD Heritage.Info at oregon.gov
Tue Jan 3 16:01:40 PST 2017

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM OREGON HERITAGE!

We here at Oregon Heritage wanted to wish everyone a happy new year! We took some time to reflect on the many accomplishments of the programs and partners we worked with in 2016. Here are few highlights of the great efforts to document, preserve, and celebrate Oregon's heritage:

*         SHPO archaeologists excavated significant biface cache with Oregon middle school students (revisit the project here<http://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-native-american-artifacts-obsidian-tools-teacher/>).

*         13 Oregon properties listed in the National Register, including the Vancouver Avenue First Baptist Church featured here<https://oregonheritage.wordpress.com/2016/09/06/latest-national-historic-register-listing-helps-preserve-portlands-african-american-civil-rights-history/> on the Oregon Heritage Exchange Blog (to see Oregon historic sites near you, visit our online database<http://heritagedata.prd.state.or.us/historic/>).

*         La Grande and The Dalles became Performing Main Streets, the highest tier of Oregon Main Street, and Beaverton and Pendleton moved up to the Transforming Downtown tier. Learn more about Oregon Main Street here<http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/SHPO/Pages/mainstreet.aspx>.

*         The Legislature passed a bill for the Oregon Main Street Revitalization Grant opening later this month. This grant is available to Oregon Main Street communities in all four tiers.

*         64 Heritage projects were funded through Oregon Heritage grant programs. To learn more about available grants, visit here<http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/FINASST/Pages/grants.aspx>.

*         3 new Heritage Traditions were designated including Pacific City's Dory Days, Medford's Pear Blossom Festival, and Happy Canyon Pageant and Wild West Show. To learn about Heritage Traditions and the application process, visit here<http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/OHC/pages/oht.aspx>.

*         3 fellowships were awarded to those doing Oregon research: Cassie M. Gray-Jeffries with Eastern Oregon University, Kira Lesley with Portland State University, and Taylor Rose with Portland State University. Learn more about the Fellowship program here<http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/FINASST/Pages/Scholarships.aspx>.

*         25 collection care workshops provided across the state thanks to the IMLS grant we wrapped up this past year.

*         The Oregon Heritage playing cards were reissued. These playing cards feature Oregon historic sites and information. Pick up your free set of cards at the first Oregon Heritage Summit April 26-27 in Newberg, OR.

When you are reflecting on your personal and/or organization's accomplishments this year (of which there are many because all of you are awesome), be sure to keep in mind any individuals you think made a significant contribution towards preserving Oregon's heritage. We are accepting nominations for the Oregon Heritage Excellence Awards until January 27, 2017. For more information on the application process and the criteria, visit here<http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/OHC/Pages/award_info.aspx>.

Thank you for all that you do for Oregon's heritage and we look forward to what all of us will accomplish in the new year!

Share your photos of Oregon's heritage on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using #oregonheritage.

Oregon Heritage News is a service of Oregon Heritage, a division of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. The news editor can be contacted at heritage.info at oregon.gov<mailto:heritage.info at oregon.gov>