[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2017-07-11

INFO Heritage * OPRD Heritage.Info at oregon.gov
Tue Jul 11 13:20:43 PDT 2017

In this issue:
1. Fellowship opportunity for Oregon students researching Oregon
2. Volunteer recruitment workshop in Brookings July 14
3. Oregon Heritage Commission meeting July 23-24 in Roseburg
4. City of Springfield seeks museum curator
5. Western Museums Association awards and conference deadlines
6. Public Meeting Notice for Oregon Commission on Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs

FELLOWSHIP OPPORTUNITY FOR OREGON STUDENTS RESEARCHING OREGON

The deadline for the 2018 Oregon Heritage Fellowship is Oct. 20, 2017 by 11:59 p.m. Oregon Heritage will award up to three $2,000 fellowships to full-time students of an Oregon university or college for researching, writing and presenting a topic related to history, geography, archaeology, cultural heritage, or historic preservation in Oregon. The deadline to apply is October 20, 2017. For more information visit here<http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/FINASST/Pages/Scholarships.aspx>.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at Katie.henry at oregon.gov<mailto:Katie.henry at oregon.gov> or call (503) 986-0671.

VOLUNTEER RECRUITMENT WORKSHOP IN BROOKINGS JULY 14

Oregon Heritage, part of Oregon Parks and Recreation Department is offering a free workshop on volunteer recruitment and management 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. July 14 at the Chetco Community Public Library, 405 Alder Street, Brookings.

>From nonprofits to community startups, anyone is welcome to attend. The workshop will include tips on getting new volunteers, organizing and tracking tasks, and showing appreciation. Come learn about creative and time-tested ideas to engage the skills and background of people who help power the work that you do.

Information about and registration for the workshop can be found at www.oregonheritage.org<http://www.oregonheritage.org> and questions may be sent to Kuri Gill at 503-986-0685 or by e-mail: Kuri.Gill at oregon.gov<mailto:Kuri.Gill at oregon.gov>.

OREGON HERITAGE COMMISSION MEETING JULY 23-24 IN ROSEBURG

On July 23, Commissioners will gather at 12:30 p.m. to tour heritage efforts including the Douglas County Museum, IOOF Historic Cemetery, Floed-Lane House, and Oregon Main Street.

On July 24, a public business meeting will begin at 9 a.m. at the Douglas County Museum located at 123 Museum Drive. Its agenda includes review and discussion of the Oregon Heritage Plan 2014-2019, Oregon Heritage Traditions, Oregon Heritage Conference 2018 in Bend, a statewide digitization initiative, and technical outreach services.

The Heritage Commission is comprised of nine people representing Oregon's heritage and geographical diversity who have been appointed by the Governor. There are nine advisory representatives from state agencies and statewide organizations. The mission of the Oregon Heritage Commission is to secure, sustain, and enhance Oregon's heritage by ensuring coordination of heritage initiatives by public and private organizations; advocacy on its behalf; education of the public about its extent and value; and promotion and celebration of its diversity.

For more information, visit www.oregonheritage.org<http://www.oregonheritage.org> or contact Oregon Heritage Commission Coordinator Todd Mayberry at 503-986-0696 or Todd.Mayberry at oregon.gov<mailto:Todd.Mayberry at oregon.gov>.

CITY OF SPRINGFIELD SEEKS MUSEUM CURATOR

Position Overview: In June 2017, the City of Springfield Councilors approved resuming management of the Springfield Museum as proposed by the Springfield Museum Board.  With this agreement, the Museum will be under the direction of the Springfield Public Library.  This transition will provide integration of activities and programs that will serve the community.  Under the direction of the Library Manager, the Museum Curator performs professional museum services for the Springfield Museum.

Posting closes: 7/24/2017

Please visit our website for more information and to apply: https://springfieldjobs.projecta.com/

WESTERN MUSEUMS ASSOCIATION AWARDS AND CONFERENCE DEADLINES

Charles Redd Center for Western Studies Award for Exhibition Excellence

Did you or a colleague create an innovative exhibit about the American West in 2016 or 2017? Every year, the WMA honors excellence for an exhibition that furthers the study and understanding of the American West. The award is funded by the Charles Redd Center for Western Studies at Brigham Young University, and the recipient discusses the winning exhibit during the Storytellers Luncheon. Learn more about the Charles Redd Award<http://westmuse.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=292ba30672daddc0764d36f0a&id=3f1c7b8ee1&e=f4886bfe41>. Deadline: July 14, 2017

Director's Chair Award

This Award is a chance to recognize unsung heroes of our profession, but not necessarily just for directors. This recognition is designed to showcase and acknowledge outstanding achievement in the museum profession. The Director's Chair Award is presented annually to an individual who has had a significant and lasting impact on museum practices or the museum profession in the Western Region. Please note that nominees can be working in any discipline. The Award is presented to the recipient during the 2016 Annual Meeting. Learn more about the Director's Chair Award<http://westmuse.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=292ba30672daddc0764d36f0a&id=fef38c974a&e=f4886bfe41>. Deadline: July 14, 2017

2017 Annual Meeting Early Bird Registration

The Member Early Bird Registration deadline for the Western Museums Association's (WMA) in partnership with the Museum Association of Arizona's 2017 Annual Meeting<http://westmuse.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=292ba30672daddc0764d36f0a&id=7a9b94187c&e=f4886bfe41> is July 28, 2017.

PUBLIC MEETING NOTICE FOR OREGON COMMISSION ON ASIAN AND PACIFIC ISLANDER AFFAIRS

Oregon Commission on Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs (OCAPIA)
Regular Meeting
Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM

The meeting will cover Commissioners' reports, and other subjects of interest to the Commission.

Public may attend the meeting at:      Oregon State Bar, Sandy Room
16037 SW Upper Boone's Ferry Road
Tigard, OR 97224

Guest speaker: Helen Ying, Chinese American Citizens Alliance National Vice President

The meeting location is accessible to persons with disabilities. Requests for accommodations for people with disabilities should be made at least 48 hours in advance.  Please contact Nancy Kramer about this or any other questions at (503) 302-9725 or contact nancy.kramer at oregon.gov<mailto:nancy.kramer at oregon.gov>.

Share your photos of Oregon's heritage on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using #oregonheritage.

Oregon Heritage News is a service of Oregon Heritage, a division of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. The news editor can be contacted at heritage.info at oregon.gov<mailto:heritage.info at oregon.gov>