[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2018-12-06

INFO Heritage * OPRD Heritage.Info at oregon.gov
Thu Dec 6 15:22:30 PST 2018

Oregon Heritage News 2018-12-06

In this issue:

- Registration open for Clatsop Community College's winter historic preservation classes
- National Trust for Historic Preservation webinar on finding funding Dec. 19
- NAO partners with Cornell University to offer two online certificate programs
- Four part grant writing workshop series in Tillamook January-March
- Grants now available from the African American Cultural Heritage Action Fund
- 2019 Oregon Stewardship Award nominations open Jan. 2
- Coburg's strategies to engage community in its heritage featured in Oregon Heritage Exchange

*********************************
Registration open for Clatsop Community College's winter historic preservation classes

Registration is open for winter historic preservation classes at Clatsop Community College in Astoria Oregon.

Historic Preservation and Restoration Winter 2019 Schedule
Classes begin 7 January 2019
Register online at www.clatsopcc.edu<http://www.clatsopcc.edu> or call 503.338.7670
All classes are open to the public.

BLD 236: Stained Glass Window Repair
Students learn the causes of deterioration and failure of leaded glass windows and gain hands-on experience in repair and restoration techniques required to re-establish the soundness and integrity of windows.
Instructor: Jim Hannen
Dates: Sat-Sun, 12-13 & 19-20 Jan.
Times: 9:00am-4:00pm
Location: Clatsop Community College, Astoria, Oregon

BLD 233: Plaster Repair
Students learn about the use and properties of plaster and gain skills in analyzing failures and repairing historic plaster walls and ceilings. They will work on interior plaster in the Flippin House (also known as the Clatskanie Castle), an 1898 Victorian mansion on the National Register of Historic Places.
Dates: Sat-Sun 26-27 Jan. & 2-3 Feb.
Times: 9:00am-4:00pm
Location: Flippin House, Clatskanie, Oregon

BLD 135: Blacksmithing I
Students learn the fundamentals of blacksmithing and study the history of techniques and materials used in traditional blacksmithing. They create simple objects using iron, forge, hammer and anvil. The workshop will be held at the site of the historic Stella Blacksmith Shop.
Instructor: Matt Moore
Dates: Sat-Sun 16-17 & 23-24 Feb.
Times: 9:00am-4:00pm
Location: Stella, Washington

BLD 226: Wood Window Restoration
Students learn history and terminology, and gain knowledge and skills to document and restore historic wood windows. They will work on double-hung and fixed windows in historic Alderbrook Hall. The building, originally an early 20th Century Pacific-Northwest Bungalow Style fire station, is now a public Community Center.
Instructor: Chris Gustafson
Dates: Saturday-Sunday, 2-3 & 9-10 Mar.
Times: 9:00am-4:00pm.
Location: Alderbrook Hall, Astoria, Oregon

BLD 206: Green Building
Introduction to the theory and practice of green building for new and historic buildings. Learn to apply sustainable construction practices, promote environmental responsibility, and analyze cost and benefits of sustainable building practices.
Instructor: Anthony Stoppiello
Times: Tuesdays, 5:00-7:50pm
Dates: 8 Jan-19 March
Location: Clatsop Community College, Astoria, Oregon

For more information contact Lucien Swerdloff at  lswerdloff at clatsopcc.edu<mailto:lswerdloff at clatsopcc.edu> or 503.338.2301. Clatsop Community College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution.

*********************************
National Trust for Historic Preservation webinar on finding funding Dec. 19

Finding Funding: The National Trust Grants Program<https://us.e-activist.com/ea-action/enclick?ea.url.id=163772&ea.campaigner.email=DheinyePr9pVzTNxl0rcdsS5Hda7Kfnj&ea.campaigner.id=X%2BI2NXledwyZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0>-upcoming free webinar from Preservation Leadership Forum<https://us.e-activist.com/ea-action/enclick?ea.url.id=163773&ea.campaigner.email=DheinyePr9pVzTNxl0rcdsS5Hda7Kfnj&ea.campaigner.id=X%2BI2NXledwyZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0> on Wednesday, December 19 at 2:00 p.m. EDT.

Speaker Diana Maxwell, Manager of Grants at the National Trust for Historic Preservation, will give an overview of the National Trust's grant opportunities<https://us.e-activist.com/ea-action/enclick?ea.url.id=163775&ea.campaigner.email=DheinyePr9pVzTNxl0rcdsS5Hda7Kfnj&ea.campaigner.id=X%2BI2NXledwyZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0> intended for first time applicants as well as previous applicants looking for new funding possibilities. With grant deadlines approaching for the African American Cultural Heritage Action Fund (January 15) and National Trust Preservation Fund (February 1), this webinar will highlight what's available and provide tips for a successful application.

*********************************
NAO partners with Cornell University to offer two online certificate programs

NAO is once again partnering with eCornell, Cornell University's online learning platform, to offer two online programs:

  1.  Financial Success for Nonprofits (back by popular demand!) and
  2.  Conflict Resolution for Leaders (new offering)
Learn more about each program here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ozUCSEcjvcXYxdnKKCVwfToVSNpt8JlNuhjC_bhzdNeRtNrWLz9jBS-kGFF1CXdEDI_ENTqxOkRh6XKV7n2VG2uPRdkWonu3WqfoDlifUGjfiZ9IGlaPOvryQJewAxnCjIK8YVOhFfDg7rHqqQslewzzK-He0usLSHee7V8vtg2IGJgisyNOhSX1_AdYkGJgwUshEaJufmjW5dOH25lClA==&c=mpAz9m9uLP8SYkVZyBh4411umDxwnolb_lAF17jgGzxZy3HlqcaE2A==&ch=lTUWtIVV6PTYLEY_r8XMBUE6P96MHusbwD2jYrPULJOShgJuZ67cvw==>

*********************************
Four part grant writing workshop series in Tillamook January-March

Nonprofit Board Training and Resources presents the Learn by Doing Grant Writing Series in Tillamook. Fours sessions beginning January 24, 2019.

The workshop series is designed to help beginning and intermediate grant writers working in nonprofit organizations and governmental entities increase their skills at developing project proposals and successfully planning, writing and attaining grant funding.

The cost for the series (including lunches) is $95 per person. Early registration is encouraged; the series will be limited to 40 participants.

Series Schedule: The four part series will be held on Thursdays from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm at Tillamook Bay Community College; 4301 3rd Street, Tillamook, OR 97141. The schedule for the series will be as follows:

Session 1: January 24, 2019, Positioning Your Organization to be Grant Smart
Session 2: February 7, 2019, Grant Writing and Grant Review
Session 3: February 21, 2019, Strategic Thinking and Budgeting
Session 4: March 7, 2019, Program Evaluation and Organizational Site Visits

To register for the workshop, please go to www.trainingnonprofitboards.org<http://www.trainingnonprofitboards.org>. Call Meredith Howell at 541-760-6255 or email meredithleehowell at gmail.com<mailto:meredithleehowell at gmail.com> with questions.

*********************************
Grants now available from the African American Cultural Heritage Action Fund

If you or someone you know has a historic place such as a site, museum, or landscape representing African American cultural heritage, you'll want to submit your Letter of Intent for the African American Cultural Heritage Action Fund<https://us.e-activist.com/ea-action/enclick?ea.url.id=163052&ea.campaigner.email=37v2n0LVEqezct0%2Bm0F1N9mrYuqSz%2FQB&ea.campaigner.id=hz5izN%2BuUjiZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0>.

>From capital projects to organizational capacity building, there are many ways that you can put this funding, ranging from $50,000 to $150,000, to use within your community.

For more information or to apply visit https://forum.savingplaces.org/build/funding/grant-seekers/specialprograms/aachactionfund

*********************************
2019 Oregon Stewardship Award nominations open Jan. 2

The Museum of Natural and Cultural History's annual Oregon Stewardship Award recognizes an individual, school, non-profit, or community group for engaging its community in an environmental or cultural heritage project that inspires stewardship of our collective past, present, and future.

The 2019 nomination period opens January 2 and runs through January 31.

For more information on the award including eligibility, criteria, last year's winner, and nomination instructions visit https://natural-history.uoregon.edu/oregon-stewardship-award-0.

Coburg's strategies to engage community in its heritage featured in Oregon Heritage Exchange

The City of Coburg is featured in the latest post on the Oregon Heritage Exchange. Check out the different strategies they are using to inspire community involvement in Coburg's heritage such as the Coburg Community Historic Art Contest, Historic Walking Tour Brochure, and Colorful Coburg Coloring Book. This last tool was printed through Certified Local Government Grant Funds. You can learn more about their efforts here<https://oregonheritage.wordpress.com/2018/12/06/colorful-coburg/>.

Share your photos of Oregon's heritage on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using #oregonheritage.

Oregon Heritage News is a service of Oregon Heritage, a division of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. The news editor can be contacted at heritage.info at oregon.gov<mailto:heritage.info at oregon.gov>.