[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2018-05-04

INFO Heritage * OPRD Heritage.Info at oregon.gov
Fri May 4 15:01:51 PDT 2018

In this issue:
1. Oregon SHPO releases 2018-2023 statewide historic preservation plan
2. Historic Preservation Month events in Oregon
3. University of Oregon's Mother's Day Powwow designated an Oregon Heritage Tradition
4. Oregon Museums Association spring workshop opportunity
5. Basics of Wood Window Repair workshop in Portland
6. Museum Technician position available at John Day Fossil Beds
7. University of Oregon's Museum of Natural and Cultural History receives a National Medal for Museum and Library Service

OREGON SHPO RELEASES 2018-2023 STATEWIDE HISTORIC PRESERVATION PLAN

Every five years the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) prepares an update to its comprehensive, statewide historic preservation plan to guide preservation activities in the state for the coming years. While the plan is a requirement of the National Park Service, which provides a substantial portion of the SHPO's funding, it is also a valuable tool for the SHPO and for preservation constituents throughout Oregon. The release of this plan coincides with National Historic Preservation Month.

The 2018-2023 Plan spotlights overarching issues, sets goals for the state and its preservation partners, and details a series of objectives we can collectively work to meet over the next five years. Inside the Plan you will find an emphasis on:

  *   A more thematically diverse National Register of Historic Places and state survey
  *   expanded and improved digital services
  *   proactive preservation planning
  *   heritage partnerships, advocacy, and networking
  *   identification, designation, and preservation of significant historic properties

Writing the Plan began in Fall 2016 when staff met with key state commissions and work groups with interest or expertise in cultural or heritage resources to gather input on the direction for Oregon's preservation community. Through the fall and spring of 2017, more than 170 Oregonians participated in a series of six public workshops held in Portland, Eugene, Medford, Astoria, Redmond, and La Grande. Another 348 completed an online survey. The Plan includes the many diverse ideas of these participants.

Grab Oregon's updated historic preservation plan and learn more about how preservation efforts across the state are faring, how we can better leverage each other's work, what preservation products get the best results, and how best to promote excellent stewardship of this state's irreplaceable cultural resources. The plan can be accessed online at http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/docs/2018_2023_shpo_plan.pdf. For those that would like a physical copy of the plan, you can pick one up at the 10th Annual Historic Preservation Month Fair at the Oregon State Capitol Grounds on May 31, 11am-1pm, or contact the SHPO office at (503) 986-0690 to receive a copy by mail.
Oregon Heritage, a Division of Oregon State Parks, includes the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO). The Oregon SHPO locally administers National Park Service (NPS) programs created by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, as amended, including the identification and designation of historic properties and archaeological sites; tax and grant programs; and the Certified Local Government Program (CLG), a partnership program between local jurisdictions and the state and federal government. The SHPO also coordinates closely with Oregon Heritage programs, including the Heritage Commission and Main Street, Cemetery Commission, Oregon Historic Trails Advisory Commission, and various grant and technical assistance programs. The SHPO office is funded in part through a grant from NPS. To learn more about the Oregon SHPO and Oregon Heritage programs, visit www.oregonheritage.org<http://www.oregonheritage.org>.

Please contact Ian Johnson, Associate Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer, at (503) 986-0678 or ian.johnson at oregon.gov<mailto:ian.johnson at oregon.gov> with any additional questions or comments.

HISTORIC PRESERVATION MONTH EVENTS IN OREGON

Coos Bay
- GOOD ENDINGS May 11 - Join us for the Statewide Historic Cemetery Clean-up sponsored by SOLVE: Lend a hand with Memorial Day clean-up*, tour the cemetery, or recognize the many donors who made projects, like the new fence and the Czarina memorial, possible. (1:30pm-4:00pm). Then, join us for a BBQ from 5pm-6pm inside MHS Heritage Hall or just toast the many accomplishments with a root beer float ! Conclude your visit with a sending forth by the Confederated Tribes of the Coos, Lower Umpqua, & Siuslaw.
Register on site or in advance at SOLVE: SOLVE Advance Registration<http://www.solveoregon.org/opportunity/a0C1I000005PzV5UAK>. Some gloves and tools will be available, but if you have your own, please bring them. We continue to remove invasive species, plant native species, and do whatever we can to improve the cemetery.
- 9th ANNUAL MEMORIAL DAY ASSEMBLY May 23 - Please join us for the 9th Annual Memorial Day Assembly. The students of Marshfield High School cordially invite all members of the armed services, veterans, and their guests, as well as the general public, to attend this event. We encourage our guests to be seated in the auditorium by 9:15 am. This year's program will honor all veterans as well as commemorate World War I. The program will include musical selections by the MHS New Horizons and the Marshfield Band of Pirates. There will also be a special "Welcome Home" recognition of Vietnam Veterans. Following the assembly, guests are invited to enjoy light refreshments and conversation with other guests and MHS students.

Lake Oswego
- Your House Matters Expo: Celebrating Houses Built Before 1970, May 20 1-3pm, Oswego Heritage House at 398 10th St. Join us for an afternoon of helpful information to make your house more livable for today while maintaining the character of your house and neighborhood. The event will begin at 1 pm with guest speaker, Rachel Verdick, local building designer and preservationist, talking about "Preservation as a Path to a Sustainable Future". She will discuss why your older home is significant, not just to you, but also to your neighborhood and community. Afterwards, an open house with vendors will provide examples, demonstrations, and help answer your questions. Come with photos and/or questions about your house.

Deschutes County
- Every May, Deschutes County Historical Society and our partners celebrate the myriad of ways that historic preservation enhances our quality of life. With a full schedule of events, it is easy to understand why This Place Matters.  A full list of events is available on the Deschutes Historical Museum website at www.deschuteshistory.org/historic-preservation-month/<http://www.deschuteshistory.org/historic-preservation-month/>.

Canby
- Zion Memorial Cemetery Historic Marker Cleaning, May 12, 10:30am-1pm, 2010 SE Township Road. In preparation for Memorial Day, the Canby Heritage and Landmark Commission is holding another grave marker cleaning event! Gloves, tools, and cleaning supplies will be provided to all volunteers. Please join us for donuts, coffee, and some good "clean" fun. You can sign up at https://www.solveoregon.org/opportunity/a0C1I000002IApr Or contact Carol Palmer at 503.504.2638 or carolpalmer24 at gmail.com<mailto:carolpalmer24 at gmail.com>

Restore Oregon
- 8th annual Mid Century Modern event May 11-12. Part I-An Architecture & Design Lecture, May 11 at 7pm, Jean Vollum DPP Building on campus of OCAC: Participants will learn about Pacific Northwest Modernism, John Storrs unique design perspective, and take a self-guided tour of the Oregon College of Art and Craft (OCAC), one of Storrs well-known commercial designs. Self-guided campus tour from 5:30-7pm. $10 for general admission.  Part II-Self-Guided Home Tour, May 12, 10am-4pm: This self-guided, driving tour allows participants to explore five of Storrs-designed residential homes at their own pace. Participants discover unique interiors, explore imaginatively designed outdoor living areas, and have a rare chance to gain an intimate view of Mid-Century Modern living as envisioned by a master. www.RestoreOregon.org<http://www.RestoreOregon.org>. Tickets: $40 for Restore Oregon member/donors, $50 for non-members. Tour check-in begins at 9:00am at the Oregon College of Art and Craft.  Part III-Exclusive free MIX:MOD After Party at Rejuvenation, May 12 at 6pm at Rejuvenation: Participants are invited to join the party and enjoy vintage cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, DJ, and dancing at Rejuvenation's Flagship store in Southeast Portland. Mid-century attire encouraged. Prizes for best dressed.  Free to lecture and/or tickets holders. For more information about the entire event series, visit www.restoreoregon.org<http://www.restoreoregon.org>.

Troutdale
- THS Annual Cemetery Tour, Saturday, May 12, 2018, 9am - 4pm, Troutdale and Gresham Cemeteries. The tour is staying close to home this year - Troutdale and Gresham. The tour departs from the parking lot at Glenn Otto Community Park at 8:30am, please arrive no later than 8:45am. Glenn Otto Community Park 1106 E Historic Columbia River Hwy, Troutdale, OR. The tour includes stops at cemeteries in Troutdale and Gresham: Douglass, Mt. View Stark, Gresham Pioneer/Escobar and White Birch. Stan Clarke, will lead the tour. Stan is a genealogist and cemetery historian. He is an expert on Oregon's cemeteries and burial customs. We will stop at a park for lunch. Please bring a sack lunch for a picnic on the road. Reservations are required with a $25 fee for the tour bus service. Seats are limited, please call today to secure your seat(s). Please call the Troutdale Historical Society office for your reservations and to answer any questions, 503-661-2164.

The Dalles
- An Oregon Stories Concert Featuring Rindy & Marv Ross w/Eddie Parente, May 18. The Columbia Gorge Discovery Center and Museum welcomes Rindy and Marv Ross, who will be performing a rare acoustic concert of songs called, 'Oregon Stories' with violinist Eddie Parente on Friday, May 18th at the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center.  Tickets for the 6 p.m. dinner and program are $30, and the 7 p.m. concert only is $15. Purchase tickets by May 16. For tickets and information call 541-296-8600 ext. 201, or visit www.gorgediscovery.org<http://www.gorgediscovery.org>

UNIVERSITY OF OREGON MOTHER'S DAY POWWOW DESIGNATED AN OREGON HERITAGE TRADITION

The University of Oregon Mother's Day Powwow, a Native American Student Union event, marks its upcoming 50th year with an Oregon Heritage Tradition designation by the Oregon Heritage Commission. Other Oregon Heritage Traditions include the Oregon State Fair, Medford's Pear Blossom Festival, the Pendleton Round-Up, and the Woodburn Fiesta Mexicana. "The designation recognizes those traditions that have helped define the state," said Todd Kepple, the commission's chair. "This event celebrates Oregon's deep roots."

The Mother's Day Powwow started in 1969 as a way for the Native American Student Union (NASU) to help indigenous students strengthen cultural values while at the university and to support educational success of the Native American community. The emergence of the powwow closely paralleled actions of Oregon tribes to work towards restoration from being terminated in 1954. Many of the original NASU members in the late 1960s went on to become the leaders who worked toward restoration, and the powwow continues to serve the purpose of inspiring Native Students at the U of O to work on behalf of Native people.

The University of Oregon Mother's Day Powwow holds the distinction of being the oldest off-reservation powwow in the state of Oregon. Over the years NASU members decided that the UO's powwow should honor the contributions of all mothers and set the annual date for Mother's Day weekend. Today the powwow brings dancers, singers and audiences together from across Oregon and the United States. It attracts over 10 drum groups and approximately 75 dancers from local and regional tribes each year. Over 8,000 participants attend the three day, family-friendly event, including Native American alumni who gather to honor the graduating students.

Gordon Bettles, former steward of the Many Nations Longhouse at University of Oregon, noted: "As a Native cultural event, the powwow offers a unique cultural space for Native students, faculty and staff members, and parents to recognize the traditions and accomplishments of their own people."

The University of Oregon Mother's Day Powwow wouldn't be possible without countless hours from the Native American Student Union. A group of students plans and runs the powwow each year with help from faculty members, vendors and community volunteers.
The Mother's Day Powwow will be held May 11- 13, 2018. It is free and open to the public. Regular dances are included that allow everyone to take part. A schedule can be found at: https://calendar.uoregon.edu/event/50th_annual_mothers_day_powwow#.Wuc9rn-QyUk
An Oregon Heritage Tradition must have been in continuous operation for more than 50 years, demonstrate a public profile and reputation that distinguishes it from more routine events, and add to the livability and identity of the state. A list of Tradition designations is available at http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/OHC/pages/oht.aspx .

The Oregon Heritage Commission coordinates efforts to solve statewide heritage issues through grants, education, and advocacy, and also promotes heritage tourism efforts.

OREGON MUSEUMS ASSOCIATION SPRING WORKSHOP OPPORTUNITY

Albums of Ephemera with Elizabeth Chambers
May 21  9:30 am - 2:30 pm
Willamette Heritage Center
Salem, OR

Registration deadline: May 17th
Register at: http://oregonmuseums.org/

$35 for OMA members
$50 for non-members, which includes OMA membership
Lunch is provided.

The archiving of vintage scrapbooks and photo albums challenges museums and families alike.  Grandma's cherished scrapbook-its yellowed pages filled with family history such as old letters, announcements, invitations, faded photographs, and torn newspaper clippings-represents both a treasure trove and conservation nightmare.  Join Conservator Elizabeth Chambers and discover how to best to preserve individual album components, while respecting the integrity of the whole. During the workshop, Elizabeth will discuss the proper handling, care, documentation, and storage of scrapbooks and photo albums.  Speaking to specific examples brought in by participants, Elizabeth will explore the practical and ethical issues surrounding the care of vintage albums.

About the Presenter
Elizabeth Chambers is a Paper Conservator in private practice and Affiliated Conservator with the Heritage Conservation Group in Portland, Oregon. Elizabeth's professional history includes 28 years in the conservation department of the Portland Art Museum as well as 23 years as a private paper conservator.  She has had a variety of experiences with collection condition surveys; from international exhibitions to private and institutional collections.  She is a professional associate of the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works.

BASICS OF WOOD REPAIR WORKSHOPS IN PORTLAND

May 5, 2018
10am-12pm
$12 Non Members/$8 AHC Members

Contrary to the mass marketing that fills our mailboxes, original windows can be refreshed and repaired to meet today's energy savings goals. At the same time, preserving original windows also preserves historic character and re-uses material that is inherently sustainable. This workshop covers the basics of identifying problems and repairing the wood windows in our older homes.

Original wood windows are the "eyes of a building" and contribute tremendous charm and authenticity to our older homes.  But after many years of openings and closings, coupled with the impacts of seasonal weather changes, our windows can develop a set of maintenance needs that must be attended to.

To address these issues, the AHC welcomes back Patty Spencer, owner of Fresh Air Sash Cord Repair Inc. Patty will share her years of experience in preserving and restoring the function of original, double-hung, wood windows found in homes built in the 1940s and earlier. With a focus on improving function, this workshop will cover the basics that owners of older homes should know, including: signs of window deterioration, preventive maintenance measures, good maintenance and repair practices, plus good ideas about weatherization. Window replacement is not a cost-effective means of saving energy, and is certainly not "green."

If you love your original, double-hung windows, but just wish they worked better - they can! Come learn to do-it-yourself from a local expert.

For more information or to register visit https://architecturalheritagecenter.z2systems.com/np/clients/architecturalheritagecenter/event.jsp?event=2848&utm_source=May+2%2C+2018&utm_campaign=E+news+3+20+2018&utm_medium=email.

MUSEUM TECHNICIAN POSITION AVAILABLE AT JOHN DAY FOSSIL BEDS

This position is located in John Day Fossil Beds National Monument. Please visit find a park<https://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm> for additional park information.

This position is a Full-Time temporary position not-to-exceed 1039 regular hours (about 6 months) in a service year. Position may be terminated sooner or extended depending on management needs. Individuals selected under this vacancy announcement may be eligible for rehire in subsequent service years provided the employee does not exceed 1039 hours of work in their service year.
The typical seasonal entry-on-duty period for John Day Fossil Beds National Monument is June - November, but can be variable during these months due to weather conditions, project needs, or funding. Anticipated Entry on Duty: June, 2018

Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid. All travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected employee.

For more information or to apply visit https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/498006600.

UNIVERSITY OF OREGON'S MUSEUM OF NATURAL AND CULTURAL HISTORY RECEIVED A NATIONAL MEDAL FOR MUSEUM AND LIBRARY SERVICE

The Institute of Museum and Library Services today announced the 10 recipients of the 2018 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation's highest honor given to libraries and museums that make significant and exceptional contributions to their communities. Over the past 24 years, the award has celebrated 182 institutions that are making a difference for individuals, families, and communities. The award will be presented at an event at the U.S. Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C., on May 24.

Selected from 29 national finalists, the 2018 National Medal for Museum and Library Service winners represent institutions that provide dynamic programming and services that exceed expected levels of service. Through their community outreach, these institutions bring about change that touches the lives of individuals and helps communities thrive.

>From a children's museum in the Mile High City to a small public library in Texas, from a natural history museum in the Pacific Northwest to a Florida library system with a growing urban population, all are meeting the unique needs of their communities in innovative ways.

The 2018 National Medal recipients are:

  *   Children's Museum of Denver at Marsico Campus (Denver, CO)
  *   The Detroit Historical Society (Detroit, MI)
  *   El Paso Museum of Art (El Paso, TX)
  *   Georgetown Public Library (Georgetown, TX)
  *   History Museum at the Castle (Appleton, WI)
  *   Orange County Library System (Orlando, FL)
  *   Pueblo City-County Library District (Pueblo, CO)
  *   Reading Public Library (Reading, PA)
  *   Rochester Public Library (Rochester, MN)
  *   University of Oregon's Museum of Natural and Cultural History (Eugene, OR)

"It is a pleasure to recognize the 10 distinctive recipients of the National Medal of Museum and Library Service," said IMLS Director Dr. Kathryn K. Matthew. "Through their programs, services, and partnerships, these institutions exemplify the many ways that libraries and museums are positively transforming communities across the nation."

Following the ceremony, StoryCorps<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001jTO4ejfW_pH3UHiORh0dsGw8xYC6i1HnB2OfxzQAVOsZ3_DVzn5PJwP-JcvGbS-UP5DzhqZf4N07EyUCjWROTMZMB5vG8GKn7QnnBiJVMWhXbsGi7zuCzBImsybetPBGCz-KppN3buj4OT8RBmNF5TknyVH0IJcqCATGfEvExQQuxL9Fv2ldGc-8zwQtKymqHD9pXXlT0amzYkVqRs7jrhcPsZwF7Nb_1nB7vGWgqZw=&c=n7IYn2WGFOj2fvahhIiez4GSR6Kqle5OyodruZyKYZD9epja46FM0A==&ch=KeIXjsh1fpzS-XXkSV3evQ6a4_D9c4arJFuxqjbowvIxN-6pwXirpQ==>-a national nonprofit dedicated to recording, preserving, and sharing the stories of Americans-will visit each recipient and provide an opportunity for community members to share stories of how the institution has affected their lives. These stories are preserved at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress.

The next deadline for nominating a museum or library<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001jTO4ejfW_pH3UHiORh0dsGw8xYC6i1HnB2OfxzQAVOsZ3_DVzn5PJ0gu8o1SuXlBl3vlj-60VgcioEn8XzDGhM-8HWFPF27l0KEMyitIkNrx-iOBLsOnWb6WVaKDXAEMXDIk8yEWnh6pd7JWSqW7iqKMc9X2hGDFjqmmHQiULdKMH9IPD3pM5Xojiv1E7yxHp7pXKGOqJrYKldYffGjh71S9AYOVLi-_&c=n7IYn2WGFOj2fvahhIiez4GSR6Kqle5OyodruZyKYZD9epja46FM0A==&ch=KeIXjsh1fpzS-XXkSV3evQ6a4_D9c4arJFuxqjbowvIxN-6pwXirpQ==> for the 2019 National Medal is October 1, 2018. Learn more about the National Medal on the IMLS website<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001jTO4ejfW_pH3UHiORh0dsGw8xYC6i1HnB2OfxzQAVOsZ3_DVzn5PJ4mSdEafpPotU6ffORZRXBeW9jN3cSQ5WbbdYGnevVhMMNmM3Uo8nM39RJSD9Uzn2CF7E4GZdc-l0w9vnNP3A97iowhhG3VullOxTqMQznPSLcgSKec0Vxi6yPVuL878DvDg4dgOrvWxyqRIwIxlDErhUAiUWJplj7GCVS3ilHdWlJLR0o2nrBL9MPDd4BUiCw==&c=n7IYn2WGFOj2fvahhIiez4GSR6Kqle5OyodruZyKYZD9epja46FM0A==&ch=KeIXjsh1fpzS-XXkSV3evQ6a4_D9c4arJFuxqjbowvIxN-6pwXirpQ==>.

Share your photos of Oregon's heritage on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using #oregonheritage.

Oregon Heritage News is a service of Oregon Heritage, a division of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. The news editor can be contacted at heritage.info at oregon.gov<mailto:heritage.info at oregon.gov>.