[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2018-09-20

INFO Heritage * OPRD Heritage.Info at oregon.gov
Thu Sep 20 15:56:30 PDT 2018

Oregon Heritage News 2018-09-20

In this issue:

- Oregon Heritage Now Accepting Applications for 2019 Oregon Heritage Fellowships
- Oregon SHPO Seeks Archaeology Interns
- Call for Oregon Archaeology, Cemetery, and Archives Events in October
- Free Admission to Over Twenty Oregon Museums Sept. 22
- Oregon State Archives Annual Open House Oct. 6
- Monument Cleaning Workshop Sept. 22
- Rosemary Johnson of Astoria Appointed to Oregon Heritage Commission
- Forum Seeking Articles About Intangible Heritage
- OHS Seeks Educator to Develop Curriculum for New Exhibit

*********************************
Oregon Heritage Now Accepting Applications for 2019 Oregon Heritage Fellowships

Oregon Heritage will award up to three $2,000 fellowships to full-time students of an Oregon university for researching, writing and presenting a topic related to history, geography, archaeology, cultural heritage or historic preservation in Oregon. Fellowship recipients will present their research process and findings at the Oregon Heritage Summit in April 2019. The application deadline is October 22, 2018. More information and a list of past recipients can be found on our website<https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/FINASST/Pages/Scholarships.aspx>.

*********************************
Oregon SHPO Seeks Archaeology Interns

The Oregon State Historic Preservation (SHPO), part of Oregon with the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, is recruiting student interns to assist with several archaeological projects and other related work. There are two internships available, one from January to March and one from April to June 2019.

For a full job description and more information contact Jamie French at 503-986-0729 or jamie.french at oregon.gov<mailto:jamie.french at oregon.gov>.

Deadline to apply: Monday, Oct. 15, 2018

*********************************
Call for Oregon Archaeology, Cemetery, and Archives Events in October

The month of October is a popular month to participate in many heritage related activities!

October is:

-      Oregon Archaeology Month

-      National Archives Month

-      Historic Cemeteries Month

Is your organization having an event in honor of Oregon Archaeology Month, National Archives Month, or Historic Cemeteries Month? If so, let us know! We know there are a lot of awesome Oregon events happening during the month of October and we want to help your publicize them in the weekly edition of the Oregon Heritage News during October.

To submit an event email heritage.info at oregon.gov<mailto:heritage.info at oregon.gov>.
*********************************
Free Admission to Over Twenty Oregon Museums Sept. 22

Museum Day is an annual celebration of museums across the county. This year it takes places on Sept. 22. Participating museums provide free admission to anyone presenting a Museum Day ticket. Twenty-one Oregon museums are participating in Museum Day so be sure to take advantage and visit a museum near you!

You can find out more info, print your Museum Day ticket, and see participating Oregon museums by visiting https://www.smithsonianmag.com/museumday/museum-day-2018/.

*********************************
Oregon State Archives Annual Open House Oct. 6

In recognition of National Archives Month, the Oregon State Archives will hold its annual Open House on Saturday, October 6 from 10:00am to 3:00pm.

The event will include a new gallery exhibit on the history of the Oregon State Fair. Light refreshments will be provided.  In addition, "behind the scenes" tours will be available of the State Archives records storage area so visitors can learn more about the Archives and its holdings. The 20-30 minute tour will provide an opportunity to see some of Oregon's most significant historical documents, including the original Oregon Constitution.

"Our state archives are always accessible and available to the public, but this yearly Open House provides a festive opportunity to learn more about our state's diverse and fascinating history," said Secretary of State Dennis Richardson. "I encourage Oregonians to visit their State Archives and meet some of the highly-skilled archivists who work to preserve Oregon's past."

The State Archives is located at 800 Summer Street NE in Salem. Regular hours are 8:00am to 4:45pm Monday through Friday.

*********************************
Monument Cleaning Workshop Sept. 22

Are you curious about the proper method to clean the lichen and environmental pollution that has built up over time on your favorite great aunt's marker?  Here's the workshop for you!

Clackamas Pioneer Cemetery is having Jeff Hilts, of Jeff Hilts Marker Service, lead a Monument Cleaning Workshop this Saturday September 22nd from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.   Please join us as we learn the proper way to clean a monument.  We will be using D/2 Biological Cleaner which is used by both Arlington National Cemetery and the White House.  Bring a stool, knee pads and drinking water or other beverage of your choice.

Clackamas Pioneer Cemetery is located on SE Amber Road in Clackamas, Oregon.  The workshop is made possible thanks to a grant from the Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries.  Contact Becky Sands at beckysands at comcast.net<mailto:beckysands at comcast.net> with any questions.

*********************************
Rosemary Johnson of Astoria Appointed to Oregon Heritage Commission

Rosemary Johnson of Astoria has been appointed by Governor Kate Brown to a four-year term on the Oregon Heritage Commission.

Johnson was the Planner and Historic Preservation Officer for the City of Astoria until her retirement in September 2014, after 35 years with the City. She staffed the Planning Commission, Historic Landmarks Commission, and Design Review Committee for the City for over 27 years. Johnson currently works as a contract planning consultant for the City of Astoria and serves as a project manager for larger projects such as restoration of the Doughboy Monument and the design and construction of the Scandinavian Heritage Park. Having helped to complete the Astoria Riverfront Vision Plan and implementation of codes for three of the four Riverfront Districts, she is currently working on completing the code implementation for the last Urban Core District. She is also an active volunteer at the Clatsop County Historical Society's Flavel House Museum.

"I am excited to be part of the Oregon Heritage Commission," Johnson noted about her appointment. "I have been passionate about history for as long as I can remember. I believe we are a product of our past and we need to preserve the history of our State and Nation to help form our future. Preservation is not just preserving structures. It is about people, our cultural history and the built environment."

"Johnson has engaged with many of the Commission's programs through her work and brings a wealth of preservation experience to the group," said Beth Dehn, Heritage Commission Coordinator. "We are pleased to have her on the Heritage Commission."

The Heritage Commission is comprised of nine people representing Oregon's heritage and geographical diversity. There are also nine advisory representatives from state agencies and statewide organizations.

The mission of the Heritage Commission is to secure, sustain, and enhance Oregon's heritage by ensuring coordination of heritage initiatives by public and private organizations; advocacy on its behalf; education of the public about its extent and value; and promotion and celebration of its diversity. For more information, commission coordinator Beth Dehn at 503-986-0696 or Beth.Dehn at Oregon.gov<mailto:Beth.Dehn at Oregon.gov> or visit the Commission's website at www.oregonheritage.org<http://www.oregonheritage.org>.

*********************************
Forum Seeking Articles About Intangible Heritage

The Preservation Leadership Forum at the National Trust for Historic Preservation is soliciting article submissions for a forthcoming Forum Journal issue dedicated to intangible heritage.

In our effort to represent all the histories that comprise the full American story, preservationists are learning how much of what we need to save is intangible. We must find ways to preserve not only place, but the heritage associated with it. Call for Abstracts is October 4.

https://forum.savingplaces.org/blogs/forum-online/2018/09/07/fj-intangible-heritage-call-for-submissions?utm_source=update&utm_medium=email

*********************************
OHS Seeks Educator to Develop Curriculum for New Exhibit

Experience Oregon<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fm9z2b/n40jhc/fqkj0y>, the Oregon Historical Society's new, permanent exhibit covering regional history from time immemorial through the twenty-first century, will offer educators and students unprecedented opportunity to engage with Oregon's history from a wide range of perspectives. Development of high-quality curricula for educators and students at all grade levels, K-12, is crucial to realizing the exhibit's potential to give students a well-rounded understanding of Oregon's complex history.

Highlights of the curriculum contract include:

  *   Pre-visit and post-visit lesson plans for grades Kinder, 1-2, 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12
  *   Best practices in museum education and formal education, including use of primary source learning
  *   Emphasis on diversity, equity, inclusion, and access
  *   Alignment with the ODE Social Sciences Standards, and in the spirit of SB 13 (Oregon Tribes curriculum) and HB 2845 (Ethnic Studies curriculum)

Read the full RFP at www.ohs.org/curriculumrfp<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fm9z2b/n40jhc/vilj0y>
Proposal Deadline: Monday, October 1 at 8am

Project Duration: October 2018 - February 1, 2019
Compensation: $13,000

Interested applicants may contact Kristen Pilgrim at kristen.pilgrim at ohs.org<mailto:kristen.pilgrim at ohs.org?subject=Curriculum%20RFP> or 503.306.5262.

Share your photos of Oregon's heritage on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using #oregonheritage.

Oregon Heritage News is a service of Oregon Heritage, a division of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. The news editor can be contacted at heritage.info at oregon.gov<mailto:heritage.info at oregon.gov>.