[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2019-07-19

INFO Heritage * OPRD Heritage.Info at oregon.gov
Fri Jul 19 14:03:44 PDT 2019

Oregon Heritage News 2019-07-19

In this issue:

  *   Story of a notable women in Oregon featured on Oregon Heritage Exchange Blog
  *   Oregon Heritage Commission to meet July 28-29 in Baker City
  *   Oregon Commission for Women meeting July 19
  *   Confluence seeks Education Program Manager
  *   Upcoming National Preservation Institute Seminars in Portland
  *   NAO seeks board members
  *   Have you checked out the Museums for All program?
  *   NEDCC preservation training webinars July-August

*********************************
Story of a notable women in Oregon featured on Oregon Heritage Exchange Blog

The year 2020 marks the 100th anniversary of the Women's Vote. To encourage heritage organizations to start planning for the Centennial, Oregon Heritage is sharing stories of notable women in Oregon's history. The most recent post on the Oregon Heritage Exchange blog features an instrumental woman in Crater Lake National Park's history. Check it out here<https://oregonheritage.wordpress.com/2019/07/17/an-instrumental-woman-in-crater-lake-national-parks-history/>!

*********************************
Oregon Heritage Commission to meet July 28-29 in Baker City

On July 28, Commissioners will gather at 1:00 p.m. to tour heritage sites surrounding the historic downtown.

On July 29 a public business meeting will begin at 9 a.m. at the Geiser Grand Hotel at 1996 Main Street, Baker City, OR 97814. The agenda includes reports on 2018 grant and MentorCorps programs, long-term planning, approval of Cultural Trust partner funds, and reports by commissioners.

The Heritage Commission is comprised of nine people representing Oregon's heritage and geographical diversity who have been appointed by the Governor. There are nine advisory representatives from state agencies and statewide organizations. The mission of the Oregon Heritage Commission is to secure, sustain, and enhance Oregon's heritage by ensuring coordination of heritage initiatives by public and private organizations; advocacy on its behalf; education of the public about its extent and value; and promotion and celebration of its diversity.

Commission meetings are open to the public and their agendas include opportunities for public comment. The meeting site is accessible to people with disabilities. Special accommodations for the meeting - including translation services - may be made by calling (503) 986?0690 at least 72 hours prior to the start of the meeting.

For more information and accessibility needs, visit www.oregonheritage.org<http://www.oregonheritage.org> or contact Oregon Heritage Commission Coordinator Beth Dehn at 503-986-0696 or Beth.Dehn at oregon.gov<mailto:Beth.Dehn at oregon.gov>.

*********************************
Oregon Commission for Women meeting July 19

Oregon Commission for Women (OCFW)
Friday, July 19th, 2019
12 pm to 2:30 pm

The meeting will cover Commissioners' reports and other items of interest to the Oregon Commission for Women.

Public may attend the meeting at:
State Office Building in Portland
800 NE Oregon Street, Room 612
Portland, OR 97232

Guest speaker:
Dr. Paul Bellatty, Director, Oregon Department of Human Services Reporting, Analytics & Implementation

The meeting location is accessible to persons with disabilities.  Requests for accommodations for people with disabilities should be made at least 48 hours in advance.

Contact Nancy Kramer at nancy.kramer at oregon.gov<mailto:nancy.kramer at oregon.gov> or 503.302.9725 with any questions or requests.

*********************************
Confluence seeks Education Program Manager

Confluence is looking for an energetic and collaborative Education Project Manager to work with our small and dedicated staff to help deliver and expand our educational programming. This candidate must have the experience, knowledge and cultural understanding needed to work closely with Columbia River treaty tribes.

Confluence is a community-supported nonprofit with the mission to connect people to the history, living cultures and ecology of the Columbia River system through Indigenous voices. We work through six public art landscapes, educational programs and community gatherings in collaboration with northwest tribes, communities and the celebrated artist Maya Lin.

This is an hourly position for 30 hours per week. Wages dependent on experience. Travel to our sites, partner schools and on field trips is required. We offer medical benefits through Kaiser Permanente and a 401(k) match. Confluence is an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply.

To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and references to info at confluenceproject.org <mailto:info at confluenceproject.org?subject=Education%20Program%20Manager> with the words "Education Program Manager" in the subject line. We will begin reviewing applications as we receive them. The position will remain open until filled. Please apply by Friday, August 2, 2019.

Download the full job description: Confluence Education Program Manager.<https://ConfluenceProject.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=92984856e00132035cbd6b92f&id=2d45a51a82&e=742226d759>

*********************************
Upcoming National Preservation Institute Seminars in Portland

Section 106: Agreement Documents*
September 9-11, 2019
This advanced seminar focuses on memoranda of agreement and programmatic agreements under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act. Learn how to survive and thrive during the agreement process through careful analysis, clear writing, and good negotiation. Review the available tools, guidelines, alternatives-and non-alternatives-to reach a favorable conclusion to the process.
Read full agenda<http://www.ne16.com/t/1431712/30141208/1126960/0/1001784/?x=3f61c935>

Traditional Cultural Places*
September 12-13, 2019
"Traditional cultural places" (TCPs) play an important role in community cultural traditions, beliefs, and activities. TCPs must be considered in planning under the National Environmental Policy Act, the National Historic Preservation Act, Executive Orders 12898 and 13007, and other authorities. Review methods of identifying TCPs, discuss evaluation for National Register eligibility, and explore management issues.
Read full agenda<http://www.ne16.com/t/1431712/30141208/2315029/0/1001784/?x=9fcb97c2>

*********************************
NAO seeks board members

The Nonprofit Association of Oregon<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Rw9ol5JZSJYtPc8Y0xfpQEScTv63iFo-hD3tEZFl9lNnwXBlthYzGXuDxsoh1N6wbWM3-BG1IJVHh4G_myen8Rs6zjYdzg4UcRyVjd2PCz_fx6UxlRUk3F-sc30pCFEzmJgNQmTvp9dCExmh0JFr1XLLV9dKvBQ_04pShkyCsvYELY7u2vAHOg==&c=TR-uiInEcXWgIotNq5UfuYIpbkjKMTJzCLW_gdylwx5AzzSvdL5KLA==&ch=QiOv3A3EsXOrIYQGGCVgwSTnn5AnVSg8t5AFXq7xC25TZvCgKb5-2A==> is growing our Board of Directors and looking for people who can make a difference statewide in the nonprofit sector. We are seeking a limited number of new board members to serve three (3) year terms beginning January 2020. We are particularly seeking individuals from 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations based in Lane County and Central Oregon.

Who are we? The Nonprofit Association of Oregon is the statewide nonprofit membership organization representing and supporting charitable nonprofits of all sizes, geographic locations and missions across Oregon.

NAO's mission is to serve public benefit nonprofits by strengthening the collective voice, leadership, and capacity of nonprofits to enrich the lives of all Oregonians. NAO's vision is that Oregon's nonprofits are visible and valued as essential contributors to society. We are deeply invested in our core values: Collaboration, Equity and Inclusion, Excellence, Impact, Learning, Service and Stewardship. NAO is committed to building a more just and equitable Oregon as stated in our Equity statement<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Rw9ol5JZSJYtPc8Y0xfpQEScTv63iFo-hD3tEZFl9lNnwXBlthYzGQ-SvzgUxtYNXYpt8f8AwmGQDC3LRodUdM7P-CrWEZa-WQis--c1E6YRU-Te6nmGzfMI3vBqvuMaRMciWAh6JQS8R_suOTQ0PzdiZUWQAErJAZevW8emJFJydbZdd6o9nizAi7Ne6hATIXWTsbKDkSDybPWfdec6OA==&c=TR-uiInEcXWgIotNq5UfuYIpbkjKMTJzCLW_gdylwx5AzzSvdL5KLA==&ch=QiOv3A3EsXOrIYQGGCVgwSTnn5AnVSg8t5AFXq7xC25TZvCgKb5-2A==>.

What do we believe? We believe that nonprofits keep our communities vibrant and healthy, create and magnify public benefits, catalyze opportunities to participate in civic affairs and enrich cultural life. We also believe nonprofits provide needed services, address inequities, and create innovative solutions to community issues. By representing and supporting charitable nonprofits of all sizes and geographic locations across Oregon, NAO strives to convene, build capacity, promote best practices and be a thought leader in helping nonprofits build a thriving, vital and equitable Oregon.

Qualifications: Membership on the Board of Directors is open to anyone with a demonstrated commitment to advancing the interests of Oregon's nonprofit sector. Based on our current board composition, we are particularly seeking individuals from 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations based in Lane County and Central Oregon. We will strive to select a slate of candidates that is inclusive and broadly representative of the State of Oregon's growing diversity, and all regions of the state and varied nonprofit sub-sectors.

NAO Board Members are expected to:

  *   Uphold the basic legal responsibilities of a nonprofit board of directors.
  *   Maintain active membership in NAO.
  *   Seek to promote and serve as an ambassador of NAO in the broader community.
  *   Attend at least 75% of board and committee meetings in person, or by phone.
  *   Actively engages in NAO's pursuit to institutionalize diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in its policies and practices.
  *   Serve on at least one board committee.
  *   Make a personal contribution at a level that is meaningful to you.
To nominate yourself please complete this brief nomination form<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Rw9ol5JZSJYtPc8Y0xfpQEScTv63iFo-hD3tEZFl9lNnwXBlthYzGQ-SvzgUxtYNYRwKt203ENtQHol5vgJeHYZZiSQn4x5jD1a6zB02wWMp7mTI0k-o6Z6Xnk7UicNj3y2BfHcYcF2VPVZJL2L4GruBHYF_pLpxN-hRk2eaKBrdArbfsu17z2Z_uwCgDcZHiKebWk8jESmRpGnfsFaolg==&c=TR-uiInEcXWgIotNq5UfuYIpbkjKMTJzCLW_gdylwx5AzzSvdL5KLA==&ch=QiOv3A3EsXOrIYQGGCVgwSTnn5AnVSg8t5AFXq7xC25TZvCgKb5-2A==>. The nomination process will close on Friday, August 2, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time. Nominees will hear from us in the weeks following as NAO's Development and Nominations Committee seeks to narrow the field to the top candidates for interviews.

*********************************
Have you checked out the Museums for All program?

Interested in learning more about Museums for All, an initiative dedicated to expanding community access?  Join staff from the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the Association of Children's Museums on July 25 to learn more about how and why 400 museums participate in the program. https://bit.ly/2RrZWcE<https://458rl1jp.r.us-east-1.awstrack.me/L0/https:%2F%2Faaslh.site-ym.com%2Flink.asp%3Fe=katie.henry@oregon.gov%26job=3814252%26ymlink=432901692%26finalurl=https%253A%252F%252Fbit%252Ely%252F2RrZWcE/1/0100016bfc557d36-4d81c55a-8c6a-444f-92a0-5683ccc54a7e-000000/ZFOlh9h5GVoNMo8LgVbL4KvnYdI=118>

*********************************
NEDCC preservation training webinars July-August

July 25, 2019  ---- Caring for Photographic Collections (2 Hour Webinar)

Participants will learn how to recognize various photographic formats and study the preservation problems associated with each format type. Environmental guidelines and proper care and handling will also be covered.

August 8, 2019 ---- Caring for Scrapbooks  (1 Hour Lunchtime Webinar)

Participants will learn about the structure of scrapbooks, the types of materials commonly found in them, methods of attachment, implications for preservation and conservation, and how to provide the best level of care for scrapbook collections. Low-cost, in-house preservation approaches are included.

August 15, 2019 ---- Digitizing Scrapbooks  (1 Hour Lunchtime Webinar)

This session provides an overview of digitizing scrapbooks, photo albums, and other unique bound items, and addresses the benefits and drawbacks of various digitization methods, as well considerations related to file formats and resolution, in order to help you decide on an approach that is right for your project.

August 29, 2019 ---- Preventing and Responding to Mold in Book and Paper Collections     (1 Hour Lunchtime Webinar)

In this 1-hour webinar, participants will learn how to asses identify mold, how to safely clean moldy materials, and how to prevent future mold outbreaks through proactive preservation measures.

LEARN MORE AND REGISTER: www.nedcc.org/prestr<http://www.nedcc.org/prestr>

Share your photos of Oregon's heritage on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using #oregonheritage.

Oregon Heritage News is a service of Oregon Heritage, a division of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. The news editor can be contacted at heritage.info at oregon.gov<mailto:heritage.info at oregon.gov>.