[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2019-09-27

INFO Heritage * OPRD Heritage.Info at oregon.gov
Fri Sep 27 15:08:37 PDT 2019

Oregon Heritage News 2019-09-27

In this issue:

* Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries to meet in Salem, Oct. 17-18
* OHS introduces new resources and events for educators
* Oregon Heritage Exchange Blog features ideas for planning women's history events
* Call for Women's Vote Centennial events & exhibits
* Applications open for Oregon Heritage Fellowship
* Have an archives question? #AskAnArchivistDay is Oct. 2
* Oregon Quilt Project featured in Willamette Heritage Center exhibit
* Restore Oregon Announces the 2019 DeMuro Award winners

*********************************
Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries to meet in Salem, Oct. 17-18

Join the Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries (OCHC) in Salem, on October 17 & 18 for a public meeting and tour. The tour will be at Salem Pioneer Cemetery and the meeting will be at the North Mall Office Building, 725 Summer Street NE, rooms 124A & 124B.

The OCHC will kick of the schedule with the tour from 3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. on October 17. We will learn about preservation efforts, archaeology projects, and recognition of African American and Chinese American history in Salem.

On October 18, beginning at 8:30 a.m., OCHC will have a joint meeting and training with other heritage commissions. The agenda includes training and exploration of the state heritage and preservation plans. The OCHC regular public meeting will begin at 1:00 p.m. The agenda includes discussion of confederate flags in historic cemeteries, commissioner reports, and future meetings. Meetings are accessible to people with disabilities. Special accommodations and translation may be arranged up to 72 hours in advance of the meeting by calling 503-986-0690.

OCHC maintains a list of all historic cemeteries in the state. A cemetery must include the burial of at least one person who died before Feb. 14, 1909 to qualify as historic. The seven-member appointed commission helps people and organizations document, preserve and promote designated historic cemeteries statewide.

For more information about the grant program or the OCHC, visit http://www.oregonheritage.org or contact Kuri Gill at mailto:Kuri.gill at oregon.gov or 503-986-0685.

*********************************
OHS introduces new resources and events for educators

Educators' Open House at OHS
Tuesday, Oct. 29, 5pm-7:30pm
Enjoy your very own night at the museum with colleagues at the Oregon Historical Society. Visit exhibits, experience our traveling trunks, learn about Oregon History Day, register for tours, and learn about standards-aligned curriculum and our digital history resources. Free admission; includes drinks and hors d'oeuvres!
Learn More<https://t.e2ma.net/click/zdgv7d/r7l5jj/fiqy57>
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/zdgv7d/r7l5jj/vary57>
New Oregon History Curriculum Available
OHS offers grades K-12 curriculum for select exhibits. Curriculum strengthens the teaching of Oregon history through standards-aligned lessons that highlight the reading of objects, images, and documents to interpret and understand history. New curriculum for our permanent exhibit, Experience Oregon<https://t.e2ma.net/click/zdgv7d/r7l5jj/b3ry57>, supports the learning of ethnic studies and Oregon Tribes. Visit ohs.org/curriculum<https://t.e2ma.net/click/zdgv7d/r7l5jj/rvsy57> to view Experience Oregon units for Grades 6-8 and 9-12; K-5 curriculum coming soon!

Educator Resources Available for Traveling Exhibit: Fighting for the Right to Fight: African American Experiences in WWII
Ready-to-use, standards-aligned secondary curriculum is available for OHS's current exhibit, Fighting for the Right to Fight: African American Experiences in World War II<https://t.e2ma.net/click/zdgv7d/r7l5jj/7nty57>. On loan from the National WWII Museum through January 12, these resources<https://t.e2ma.net/click/zdgv7d/r7l5jj/nguy57> involve students in understanding the African American experience in World War II and in the Civil Rights era following the war.

*********************************
Oregon Heritage Exchange Blog features ideas for planning women's history events

The year 2020 marks the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the Nineteenth Amendment, which placed women's voting rights in the United States Constitution. Our colleagues at the http://www.oregonwomenshistory.org/ put together a list of ways individuals and groups from around the country are planning to commemorate the centenary. We've added a few thoughts and encourage you to share your plans. Check out the list of ideas here<https://oregonheritage.wordpress.com/2019/09/26/how-will-you-commemorate-the-100th-anniversary-of-the-womens-vote/>.

*********************************
Call for Women's Vote Centennial events & exhibits

Do you have events or exhibits confirmed for the 2020 Women's Vote Centennial? Please let us know the name, dates, and web links to any fully confirmed programs. We're looking for ways to promote Centennial events statewide. Email mailto:beth.dehn at oregon.gov with basic details.

*********************************
Applications open for Oregon Heritage Fellowship

Oregon Heritage is accepting applications for 2020 Oregon Heritage Fellowships<https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/FINASST/Pages/Scholarships.aspx>

Oregon Heritage will award up to three $2,000 fellowships to full-time students of an Oregon university for researching, writing and presenting a topic related to history, geography, archaeology, cultural heritage or historic preservation in Oregon. Fellowship recipients will present their research process and findings at the Oregon Heritage Conference in April 2020. The application deadline is October 20, 2019. More information and a list of past recipients can be found on our website<https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/FINASST/Pages/Scholarships.aspx>.

*********************************
Have an archives question? #AskAnArchivistDay is Oct. 2

On October 2, archivists around the country will take to Twitter to respond to questions tweeted with the hashtag #AskAnArchivist. Take this opportunity to engage via your personal and/or institutional Twitter accounts and to respond to questions posed directly to you or more generally to all participants.

Questions will vary widely, from the silly (What do archivists talk about around the water cooler?) to the practical (What should I do to be sure that my emails won't get lost?), but each question will be an opportunity to share more about our work and our profession with the public.

October 10 (10/10) is Electronic Records Day! Follow @OregonArchives all day on #ErecsDay for tips on how to better manage the electronic data in your care, information about preservation efforts around the country, links to resources and maybe a meme or two.

*********************************
Oregon Quilt Project featured in Willamette Heritage Center exhibit

Stitches and Stories: Discoveries from the Oregon Quilt Project
An exhibit at the Willamette Heritage Center, Salem
Sept. 27-Dec. 23, 2019

For the past 9 years, volunteers with the Oregon Quilt Project have been working to document quilts throughout the state-recording information about quilts and their makers in Oregon. Quilts are made for a purpose; those in this exhibit represent some of the reasons why. Whether it is utilitarian or decorative, for a special occasion or a community event, each quilt tells a story all its own. (https://www.willametteheritage.org/special-exhibits/)

*********************************
Restore Oregon Announces the 2019 DeMuro Award winners

Each year Restore Oregon selects projects for the DeMuro Awards. Winning projects demonstrate how historic preservation can create affordable housing, incubate new businesses, and combat climate change through re-use.

Twelve historic projects from across Oregon were selected at 2019 award winners:

*       Almr Apartments and Retail Spaces, Portland
*       Altsource Headquarters (1923), Portland
*       Fairmount Apartments (1905), Portland
*       Firehouse 17 Restoration & Addition (1912), Portland
*       Historic Central Hotel (1929), Burns
*       M & N Building (1924), Astoria
*       Lincoln Hall Renovation & Addition (1912), Portland
*       Sherman County Courthouse Rehabilitation & Expansion (1899), Moro
*       Silas Beeks House Restoration (1848), Forest Grove
*       The Redd on Salmon Street (1918), Portland
*       U.S. Customs House | WeWork (1898), Portland
*       Woodlark Hotel (1907/1912), Portland

To see more about the award winning projects and learn more about the award, visit https://restoreoregon.org/2019-demuro-award-winning-projects/.

Share your photos of Oregon's heritage on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using #oregonheritage.

Oregon Heritage News is a service of Oregon Heritage, a division of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. The news editor can be contacted at mailto:heritage.info at oregon.gov.