[kids-lib] Oregon Reads needs your help!

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Mon Dec 8 16:02:03 PST 2008

Hello!  Oregon Reads is looking for people to facilitate and moderate the book discussion blogs for Apples to Oregon and Bat 6 (one blog for each title).  I'm wondering if any of you are interested or if you know someone else who may be interested.  We need to find at least 2 people, 1 to moderate each blog.  I think if a couple people want to co-moderate one of the blogs, that might be possible too.

The moderator(s) will be responsible for writing the actual blog postings  that will facilitate the book discussion and approve the comments  posted by the public to make sure they are appropriate--no swear words,  no sales pitches from people trying to promote their own books etc.,  and no comments that aren't related to the book.   Since the blog  feature isn't developed yet I don't know exactly what it will look like  or how it will be set up, I'm assuming it will work like blogger.com or  any of those other major blog services.

We're looking for people who will take time to post new blog entries to facilitate the book discussion once or twice a week and to approve comments from the public once a day to keep the blog very active for the public, and people we can trust to have good judgment about appropriate content because we will hopefully have children posting to these two blogs.  The commitment would be for January 1 - April 30, 2009.

The blog discussions are extremely important because they are the only way many Oregonians will be able to participate in Oregon Reads.  Most small libraries do not have the resources to host or sponsor any events, there are thousands of people who live outside library service areas, and geography is a huge issue for the rural areas of our State--especially with the snow and ice in January-March.

Thank you,
Katie

               katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528