[kids-lib] New Books Available: cataloging and YALSA Awards

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Fri Nov 7 10:57:59 PST 2008

The following new titles are available to interlibrary loan from the Oregon State Library. If you would like to request this or other materials from the Oregon State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or fax your request to the State Library document delivery department at 503-588-7119 with your full name, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number.

Karpuk, D.J. (2008). KidzCat: A how-to-do-it manual for cataloging children's materials and instructional resources.  New York: Neal-Schuman.
At last--practical cataloging guidance specifically for youth materials!
This user-friendly introduction to the basics of cataloging children 's materials will help you and your staff keep your collections organized, accessible, and manageable. In 13 information-packed chapters, Karpuk covers everything you need to know about cataloging -description, authority control, automation systems and retrieval, MARC, subject headings,classification, and more. Each chapter includes illustrative exercises (with answers) to help librarians learn to catalog their most important and popular resources, like:

* Board and picture books
* Sound recordings, including children's music and audio books
* DVDs, including animations
* Computer programs, including games and rewriting software
* Multimedia kits
* Series books
* Children 's Web sites, Internet portals, and online resources

Additional coverage includes outsourcing, local policy issues, future directions, and more. This is an essential resource for both new and seasoned librarians charged with cataloging children 's materials. (Book Description)
Frolund, T. (2008). The official YALSA awards guidebook.  New York: Neal-Schuman.
This information-packed volume compiles bibliographic information about the books and authors honored by the Alexander, Edwards, and Printz awards given by YALSA-the division of the American Library Association (ALA) that serves the librarians who work with young adults. Essays written by experts in young adult content are included, and there are separate chapters about each award and its criteria. In addition, you'll find complete lists of award-winning books to date, speeches by and interviews with the winning authors, along with brief annotations, publisher information, subject/thematic descriptions and display and programming ideas. (Book Description)
Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog (http://oregon.gov/OSL/index.shtml) for our complete holdings.

Katie Anderson
Youth Services Consultant
Oregon Center for the Book Coordinator
Library Development