[kids-lib] Reading is an Investment

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Fri Dec 18 09:31:52 PST 2009

I just read the following Oregonian article about Reading is an Investment, a reading contest of children in Kindergarten through 5th Grade.  Kids have to read books with money related themes for 13 hours and 20 minutes or listen to books read aloud for 6 hours and 40 minutes.  Winners receive $250 Oregon College Savings Plans.

Children and parents may be coming to their local public libraries for money themed books to read for this contest.  Libraries can prepare by knowing about the contest, and providing a list of money themed books at their library and/or copies of the Reading is an Investment recommended reading list.

List of recommended titles: http://www.ost.state.or.us/Read/Recommended%20Reading%20List%202009.pdf

Contest details: http://www.ost.state.or.us/Read/

Newspaper article: http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2009/12/kids_read_about_money_possibly.html

               katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528

Kids: Read about money, possibly win money for college

  By Betsy Hammond, The Oregonian

December 18, 2009, 7:24AM

Oregon elementary school students who are willing to spend at least 13 hours reading books with money-related themes have a chance to win a $250 college savings account.

The  reading has to be done between now and spring break. It must add up to  13 hours and 20 minutes for students who can read to themselves; six  hours and 40 minutes for young children who are read to.

And all that reading has to include at least three books chosen by librarians for their finance-related themes. The list of 75 eligible books ranges widely, from "A Chair for my Mother," a story about a family that sets aside money following a fire, to the how-to “Kids Guide to Money Cents,” which allows readers to determine their “money personality” and even offers business startup advice.

 The contest is the brainchild of state Treasurer Ben Westlund,  who hopes to accomplish at least two aims. He wants to publicize the  Oregon college savings plan, a tax-deductible way for families to save  up for a child's college education. And he want to increase the  financial literacy of young Oregonians.

>From among the students  who enter, 100 will win a college savings account of $250. Last year,  just 2,500 students entered, making for pretty good odds of winning.

To  be eligible to enter and get a certificate of achievement, the student  must live in Oregon and be enrolled in kindergarten through grade five.  To win the scholarship money, both the child and a parent must be U.S.  citizens or legal residents with Social Security numbers.

The best place to find information about the contest is right here.

- Betsy Hammond