[kids-lib] Final 2009 Mock Caldecott Workshop reminder
BJQUINLAN at cityofsalem.net
Wed Jan 7 09:17:51 PST 2009
This is your final reminder that the deadline for signing up for this
year's Mock Caldecott is today, Wednesday, January 7! For those of you
who are already registered, some vital info:
1. The library is located at 585 Liberty St SE. Here is a link for
2. The library parking deck required $.50 per hour (quarters only) and
is checked throughout the day by Parking Services. If ticketed for an
expired meter, there is nothing that anyone at the library can to do
help, so please plan to bring quarters with you. You can put up to 10
hours on a meter inside the parking deck. Once the library opens at 10
a.m., there is a change machine located inside the Main front doors.
3. The program will be held in the Anderson Room, which is on the
bottom floor (Plaza Level). Folks coming to the program, which begins
at 9:30 a.m., will need to take the sidewalk halfway around the building
to enter through the set of two double doors on the Plaza Level.
Coffee, tea, and nibbles will be available about 9:00 a.m. in the
If you haven't yet registered, here's what you need to know:
The annual OLA Children's Services Division 2009 Mock Caldecott
Workshop will be held on Saturday, January 10, 2009. Nell Colburn, 2009
Caldecott Chair, and Steven Engelfried, former Caldecott committee
member, will again lead the continuing education piece of this popular
workshop, which will be held at Salem Public Library from 9:30 a.m. to
4:30 p.m. The registration form is available on the OLA CSD website at
Here is the list of titles to be considered during the workshop.
Please read as many of them as you can before you arrive at the program;
you’ll benefit from the workshop much more if you do. All books are
● Billingsley, Franny. Big Bad Bunny. Illustrated by G. Brian
Karas. Atheneum Books
● Bryant, Jen. A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos
Williams. Illus. by Melissa Sweet.
Eerdmans Books for Young Readers
● Elliott, David. On the Farm. Illustrated by Holly Meade.
● Frazee, Marla. A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever.
● Kerley, Barbara. What To Do About Alice? Illustrated by Edwin
● Reibstein, Mark. Wabi Sabi. Illustrated by Ed Young. Little
● Rumford, James. Silent Music: A Story of Baghdad. Roaring Brook
● Seeger, Laura Vaccaro. One Boy. Roaring Brook Press
● Swanson, Susan Marie. The House in the Night. Illus. by Beth
Krommes. Houghton Mifflin
● Winter, Jonah. Steel Town. Illustrated by Terry Widener.
If you have questions, please contact BJ Quinlan, CSD Chair,
503-588-6039 or bjquinlan at cityofsalem.net
More information about the Kids-lib