[kids-lib] Virginia Euwer Wolff Oregon Reads blog

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Mon Mar 2 11:22:48 PST 2009

Hello!  I know many of your libraries are doing Bat 6 book clubs during Oregon Reads.  I encourage you to check out Virginia Euwer Wolff's blog about Bat 6, and her personal Oregon Reads travels and experiences.  The first two entries provide insight to Bat 6, and introduce some wonderful themes and issues that may be great conversation starters for your book clubs.

Wolff does an excellent job tying everything together--her book, Oregon Reads, Oregon 150, history, and what kids are dealing with today.  As she says "... every generation of kids is just trying to live their lives, just trying to sing songs, invent games, learn social studies and math, form and re-form friendships, and play ball. And along comes a war. Most generations have these horrible interruptions. I wanted to tell a story of some kids just trying to have a childhood when things go horribly wrong. "

Check out her blog at: http://www.oregonauthors.org/blogs/index.php?book_id=3

katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528