[kids-lib] 2009 Golden Kite winners

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Fri Mar 6 10:37:44 PST 2009

2009 Golden Kite winners announced.  The Golden Kite is the only award presented to children's and teen authors and artists by their peers.
http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6642208.html?nid=3242

WINNERS:
Fiction
Steve Watkins for Down Sand Mountain (Candlewick)
Nonfiction
Pamela S. Turner for A Life in the Wild: George Schaller's Struggle to Save the Last Great Beasts (Farrar, Straus)
Picture Book Text
Bonny Becker for A Visitor for Bear, illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton (Candlewick)
Picture Book Illustration
Hyewon Yum for Last Night (Farrar, Straus)
HONORS:

Fiction
Mary E. Pearson for The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Holt)
Nonfiction
Ellen Jackson for The Mysterious Universe: Supernovae, Dark Energy, and Black Holes, photos and illustrations by Nic Bishop (Houghton)
Picture Book Text
Carole Boston Weatherford for Before John was a Jazz Giant, illustrated by Sean Qualls (Holt)
Picture Book Illustration
Mo Willems for I Love My New Toy (Hyperion)
Katie Anderson
Youth Services Consultant
Oregon Center for the Book Coordinator
Library Development