[kids-lib] library-summer food program partnerships

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Fri Mar 13 15:55:33 PDT 2009

Hello!  As you know, I recently informally surveyed you to learn who was partnering with summer food programs for OregonASK.  The someone representing the summer food programs is on the OregonASK Steering Committee.  We have talked about the benefits of summer food program and library partnerships.  Now we, and the rest of the Steering Committee, are interested in how many partnerships are already in existence.

I thought you all might be interested in learning more about how other libraries are partnering with summer food programs too so I've compiled the emails I received from some of you... enjoy!

katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528

Beaverton City Library
Last year we partnered with the Beaverton School District's Summer Food Program at the park across the street from the library.  Our summer intern did a weekly storytime.

Washington County Cooperative Library System
Well, you know our structure here in Washington County.  Hopefully individual city libraries who are involved will respond to you directly with their details.  However, I can tell you that I know for sure that Forest Grove, Beaverton and Hillsboro Libraries have been involved with the Washington County Summer Food Program.  At the county level we haven't been in the past, but last year I made contact with the Washington County Commission on Children and Families staff person, Sunny Ross, who runs the Summer Food program her to let her know that I was interested in coordinating a more comprehensive involvement on the part of the Washington County Library system.  Yesterday I attended a Summer Food Community Partners meeting to get more information.  I offered to distribute promotional fliers and posters about that program through our member libraries.  I also requested that our Summer Reading promotional literature be distributed at the food sites (they did that for us a bit last year).  I also suggested that WCCLS and member library staff could offer storytimes at food sites.  I know this doesn't answer your specific questions, but I hope it helps.

Tigard Public Library:
Last year I worked with a local apartment complex that received free lunches.  I went once a week to their playground/lunch area at the complex for bilingual story time.  The food program was sponsored by the Beaverton School District.  When I contacted the food program, they encouraged me to speak with the site manager since it was not a public location. I'm hoping to do the same this summer.

Multnomah County Library
BOOKS 2 U has served summer food sites for over ten years. We see all of our summer food sites every other week (during the summer) which equals about 5-6 visits.    We visit sites at SUN schools, parks, low income housing sites, churches, Police Activity League, Boys & Girls Clubs and many other non-profits that provide a food program (both breakfast and lunch programs) during the summer. We provide books for both the adults and kids to checkout and the summer reading program (we act like a branch during the summer-we sign kids up and provide prizes directly to them).  I consider the summer food program one of our most important BOOKS 2 U partners.  Also, feel this summer they will be an even bigger part of our summer program as more families are having food problems.

Wallowa County Library
Community Connection offers a summer lunch program in the parks in the towns of Enterprise, Wallowa, Joseph, and Lostine.  We provide literacy outreach programs at these sites that includes stories and an extension activity.  The number of visits are tied to the remaining funding in our budget for the year.  Our goal is to offer at least one program at each site per week.  We try to use themes from the current summer reading program.  At least once, children attending receive a free book to take home.

La Pine Public Library
I Work at the La Pine Public Library, which is part of the Deschutes Public Libraries.  Here are the answers to your questions:
1)   The library service is the Summer Reading Program and the Teen Summer Reading Program.  We enroll the children and teens, and use their reading logs to help them earn their incentives (which we bring with us to the program).
2)   The summer lunch program takes place at La Pine Elementary School.
3)   Their program, Lunch and Learn, runs 5 days a week, usually from mid-June to mid-August.  We will visit once a week on varying days.

 Ledding Public Library (Milwaukie)
We do coordinate with the free summer lunch program in our area.  In fact, we use our Ready to Read Grant $ to buy free books to give to all the kids who attend this program.  We also promote the summer reading program while we are there (and then every kid gets to choose one free book to keep).  This occurs at the school sites.  Last year we went to three elementary schools and one housing project site.  We went to each site once (even though the summer lunch was offered daily for two to three weeks at each site).  Our goal this summer is to go to all six sites and give 600 kids a free book.   The name of the summer food program is called "Project Summer."  It is jointly sponsored by the North Clackamas School District; the State of Oregon; the U.S. Department of Agriculture; and the Oregon Hunger Task Force.

Hillsboro Public Library
1) what library program or service do you tie to the summer food program, Our Libros outreach worker provides storytimes (English/Spanish depending on the audience) and shepherds the children through the summer reading program.
2) where does this occur (library, school, park, etc.)   Park beside our branch library
3) how often (once a week, month, summer), and what the name of the summer food program is.  Once a week during the summer

Deschutes Public Library
Deschutes Public Library provides bookmobile service, including Summer Reading program, that tie in with the Bend- La Pine School District's "Lunch and Learn" program.  In La Pine, Sandy Irwin/DPL Branch Manager visit the La Pine Lunch and Learn (held at La Pine School)  site regularly to promote DPL's Summer Reading Program Lunch and Learn programs are held either at a park or a school.   The bookmobile visits Lunch and Learn sites weekly.

Creswell Library
We usually go to the park and read stories to kids during the summer at the same time as free meals are given out. I believe it is the statewide summer meals program.    We plan to do this again this year. (Last year we were too busy to do it more than a couple of times but we did it the year before every week during the summer)

 Driftwood Public Library (Lincoln City)
Driftwood Public Library is a drop site for the Lincoln City Food Pantry and has been for many years, last year we also included new board books from a Books To Babies program to be included in local food baskets- we intend to continue this year funds willing!

katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528