[kids-lib] Central Oregon Early Literacy Conference

heather mcneil heatherm at dpls.lib.or.us
Tue Mar 17 10:46:43 PDT 2009

Please excuse any cross-postings.

We have sad news and good news about the Central Oregon Early Literacy
Conference.  Due to a family tragedy, our keynote speaker, Mem Fox, is
unable to attend.  We are sad to lose her, but delighted to announce
that award-winning children's author and illustrator Todd Parr has
agreed to give the keynote. (www.toddparr.com)  He is charming, funny
and all about reading to make you feel good.  Following Todd's
presentation will be a workshop, "Read, Rhyme, Romp! Early Literacy
Activities and Skills to Grow a Reader," led by internationally
recognized storyteller Heather McNeil, who is also an early literacy
trainer, author and librarian.  Plus there will be 7 break-out sessions
in the afternoon, all about topics such as creative play, science and
literacy, gender in children's literature, book selection, and more.
Registration is at www.coliteracyconference.org.  The fee is $50, which
includes lunch, So for a very reasonable fee you get to spend a day in
beautiful central Oregon celebrating children's books, early literacy,
and the importance of reading aloud.  What could be better than that?

Heather McNeil

Youth Services Coordinator/Bend Library Co-Manager

Deschutes Public Library

601 NW Wall St.

Bend, OR  97701

541-617-7099; heatherm at dpls.us