[kids-lib] Power of Booktalking -- DVD Now Available from State Library

Jennifer Maurer maurer_jennifer at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Thu Feb 4 12:28:57 PST 2010

We just added a new DVD to our Library Information Science collection at the State Library -- The Power of Booktalking.

To borrow it or other materials from OSL, use your established ILL procedures, or email or fax our document delivery department.  Include your name, work phone and email, work address, the item title, and other relevant information.
     e-mail: library.request at state.or.us
     fax:  503-588-7119

The Power of Booktalking. University of Wisconsin-Madison, SLIS, Continuing Education Services. Neal-Schuman, 2009. DVD. ISBN: 9781555706838

>From the description:  "With this groundbreaking new DVD, all you need is one hour to learn the gamut of approaches, styles and skills that make booktalking one of the most powerful techniques in promoting reading across all ages. Both beginning and experienced librarians will benefit from this dynamic set of real-life presentations, and the diverse group of speakers makes it easy for you to find and develop a personal style that is both comfortable for you and effective for your audience. The DVD also comes with companion files, including PDFs with tips and strategies, lists of related books, and a complete Webliography."

I previewed half of the segments, and my biggest impression is that even those without a flair for drama can give good booktalks.  A variety of people give demonstrations, including school librarians at the elementary, middle, and high school levels and a teen librarian from a public library.
Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant