[kids-lib] Counting audio books as summer reading?

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Wed Mar 17 08:44:57 PDT 2010

Hello!  There has been an excellent conversation around counting audio books for summer reading programs on ALA's Association for Library Service to Children listserv.  Support for counting audio books is almost unanimous, with many librarians including research around the educational value of audio books in their emails.  Below is one of the emails from the conversation that provides brief snapshot of most of the reasons why librarians count audio books and a link to one online resource.

Here is a link to another study an ALSC librarian shared during the conversation. While it certainly promotes Recorded Book, I found quite a bit of good research in the article: http://www.flr.follett.com/intro/pdfs/recordedbooks-research.pdf.

And, don't forget Jim Trelease and Mem Fox! While most of their research is around reading aloud, much of it is relevant to listening to audio books:

* Jim's website: http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/rah-ch1.html.
* Mem's website: http://www.memfox.com/welcome.html
One issue that came up in the conversation is libraries that track the number of pages kids read didn't have an alternative way to track listening to audio books.

               katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528
  _____