[kids-lib] Summer Reading: Rules of Use clarification
katie.anderson at state.or.us
Thu May 6 13:29:31 PDT 2010
**Please excuse any cross-posting**
While attending the Annual CSLP (Collaborative Summer Library Program) Conference this month, your Oregon CSLP representatives learned more about the Rules of Use. The Rules of Use are a living document, constantly being revised by the CSLP Rules of Use Committee. Please review the Rules of Use online at: http://www.cslpreads.org/about/rules-of-use.html
This year there was a major clarification regarding use of CSLP artwork and clip-art from the manual on customized paper products such as reading records, certificates, and bookmarks. CSLP members may not use CSLP artwork or clip-art from the CSLP manual to create customized paper products if Highsmith offers a similar paper product.
Here are a few examples:
You may not use CSLP artwork or clip-art from the manual to create your own:
* Reading records/logs because Highsmith sells reading records.
* Summer reading certificates because Highsmith sells certificates.
* Bookmarks because Highsmith sells bookmarks.
You may use CSLP artwork or clip-art from the manual to create your own:
* Booklists because Highsmith doesn't sell booklists.
* Event fliers, programs, and brochures because Highsmith doesn't sell these.
This is a huge clarification. CSLP and Oregon CSLP representatives know that many libraries are not in compliance with this Rule of Use. Do not panic if you are not in compliance, please email me at katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us> and I can provide more information.
There is a process in place if you would like to use CSLP artwork or clip-art from the manual to create your own reading records, certificates, bookmarks, or other paper products offered by Highsmith. Unfortunately, it is too late to go through the appropriate process for this summer. In the Fall I will send out an email with information about how to request customized paper products for next summer. You may be interested to know the Rules of Use state:
* CSLP Exclusive Vendor [Highsmith] gets first right of refusal on all custom paper orders.
* Custom paper orders that cannot be customized by CSLP's Exclusive Vendor [Highsmith] may be printed in-house by the CSLP member or by a local printer.
Please let me know if you have any questions about the Rules of Use. Another good resource is the 'Forum' on the CSLP website (http://www.cslpreads.org/) in which you can initiate and/or participate in conversation around Rules of Use, CSLP artwork, and other topics. You must create an account to access the discussion forum.
Katie Anderson, Library Development Services
* Youth Services Consultant * Oregon Center for the Book Coordinator *
Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301
katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>, 503-378-2528
All Oregon public, volunteer, and tribal libraries are members of the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP), and receive a free summer reading manual. To get the most out of your membership, create an account on the CSLP website (http://www.cslpreads.org/) and you will be able to access additional summer reading resources. CSLP membership dues and manual fees are paid for by the State Library with LSTA funds. Summer reading manuals are distributed by OLA's Children's Services Division.
For more information, contact one of you CSLP representatives:
* Esther Moberg, CSD Summer Reading Chair: Esther_creslib at centurytel.net<mailto:Esther_creslib at centurytel.net>
* Paige Bentley, CSD In-coming Summer Reading Chair: paigeb at dpls.lib.or.us<mailto:paigeb at dpls.lib.or.us>
* Heidi Weisel, OYAN CSLP Liaison: heidi.weisel at ci.corvallis.or.us<mailto:heidi.weisel at ci.corvallis.or.us>
* Katie Anderson, CSLP Oregon State Representative: katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 19387 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Kids-lib