[kids-lib] Summer Reading: More clarification

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon May 10 07:45:21 PDT 2010

**Please excuse any cross-posting**

There is a lot of concern around the clarification to the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) Rules of Use.  Here is more detailed information:

This year:

  *   If you have already sent your summer reading materials to the printer, don't worry about it.  Use them.  It's OK this year.
  *   If you are down to the wire and don't have time to swap the CSLP artwork or clipart from the manual, send it to the printers as you planned.  It's OK this year.
  *   If you have time to swap out the CSLP art for public domain clipart on your summer reading materials, please do so.
  *   If you are photocopying/printing materials from the summer reading manual, that is OK.  That's what the manual is for.
  *   If you are purchasing posters and materials from Highsmith, then sending them to have your library information printed on them.  It's OK.
  *   If you are printing/photocopying the same posters, bookmarks, and materials sold by Highsmith, you need to purchase these from Highsmith.

Oregon Summer Reading Certificates this year:
There are no changes, and should be going out to the libraries that ordered them the first week of June as planned.  They are not in compliance with the Rules of Use. However, I spoke with CSLP and Highsmith about the Oregon Summer Reading Certificate, I filled out and submitted a "Customized Paper Product Order" form, and received permission to create and print them in-house this year.

Next year:
Libraries can still design their own paper products; you do not have to purchase Highsmith products from the catalog.  There are two other options:

1) Create your own paper materials using the CSLP artwork or clip-art just like you have done in the past, complete a "Customized Paper Product Order" form and submit it to Highsmith.  Highsmith will either print it for you or they will refuse it.  The Rules of Use state that if Highsmith refuses to print your customized paper product they should give you permission to print it in-house. It is too late to do this for the 2010 summer reading program. I will send out the "Customized Paper Product Order" form via email this Fall for the 2011 summer reading program. This is the process we will use for the Oregon Summer Reading Certificate next year.

2) Create your own materials using artwork/clip-art from another source.  In this case you could use clipart in the public domain such as what you find from windows clipart to create your own logs.  Another example, some Oregon libraries use the CSLP slogan and theme (water, "Make a Splash--READ!")  However, they contract with a local artist to design different art and use their own art on all summer reading materials.  As you know, Ready to Read funds may only be used for the statewide reading program and this counts because these libraries still use the CSLP theme and slogan.

A few things to keep in mind:
CSLP is not the copyright police. The CSLP Rules of Use are designed to make Highsmith's copyright rules more understandable to libraries, and to help libraries move towards compliance.  If you aren't sure your library is in compliance with the Rules of Use and you are facing a short timeline, keep working as you originally planned so you can meet your deadline, but please send me and email or give me a call.

CSLP has an RFP process to contract with an exclusive vendor, Highsmith is the vendor that was awarded the current contract.  There will be a full RFP process when the contract is up, and Highsmith will have to submit another RFP just like all other interested vendors.

If you have questions or concerns about Rules of Use, please contact me first.  If it is urgent and I'm not available, contact one of your other CSLP representatives:

  *   Esther Moberg, CSD Summer Reading Chair: Esther_creslib at centurytel.net<mailto:Esther_creslib at centurytel.net>
  *   Paige Bentley, CSD In-coming Summer Reading Chair: paigeb at dpls.lib.or.us<mailto:paigeb at dpls.lib.or.us>
  *   Heidi Weisel, OYAN CSLP Liaison: heidi.weisel at ci.corvallis.or.us<mailto:heidi.weisel at ci.corvallis.or.us>
  *   Katie Anderson, CSLP Oregon State Representative: katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>