[kids-lib] summer reading copyright?

Campbell, Dana Dana.Campbell at ci.corvallis.or.us
Fri May 28 11:51:53 PDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

Been following the discussion and felt I might as well express my
thoughts, since it was me who brought CLSP to Oregon.

We actually joined the Collaborative the year I was the CSD chair and
looking for ways to save the Oregon Statewide Summer Reading
Program.Debra's year was the first full year of implementation in
Oregon.  I'm not sure how far we want to go back into the reasons we
joined CLSP but at the time we did, joining CLSP saved the Oregon
Statewide Summer Reading Program.  Prior to being a member of CLSP
Oregon had been originally been doing our own statewide manual which
required a lot of energy, time, travel and work and wasn't always the
best.  Then, during the time we were partnering with Metropolitan Group,
we had great art and materials which were  much more expensive, and
ended up with an enormous debt which took two years+ to resolve.  I
don't want to go back to those days.  This would mean taking a giant
step back in summer reading.

I am extremely disappointed to hear that Highsmith basically wants to
have a monopoly on anything CSLP.  I know that the company will use the
art again, at least a year later, for a more general reading promotion.
Are they afraid that all of us are going to dig out our CD's from years
past and incorporate the artwork once again?  Are they afraid they are
going to miss a buck? Highsmith makes a lot of money from the CSLP.  A
lot of money! One of the biggest reasons for joining CLSP is have access
to high quality artwork and a complete summer reading manual.  Libraries
on a small budget/no budget were able to produce high quality summer
reading materials and programs.  Some libraries do purchase a lot of
materials, others do not.  That's OK.   Does Highsmith think they are
not selling as much CLSP material because we are creating our own?  Are
sales down this year?  Of course, library budgets are down this year as
well.  Is Highsmith reacting to the economy and taking it out on CLSP?

Has anyone talked with the Executive Board of CLSP to let them know what
kind of hardship the limitation of use of the art will be?  So many
libraries across the nation are facing bigger and bigger finanacial cuts
and the CLSP is one thing that has been affordable, optional to use and
helps create support for libraries on a united front both statewide and
nationwide. Also, I don't know if Highsmith would enjoy having negative
press about something such as Summer Reading.  I remember, when CLSP was
small they had a much stronger voice because Highsmith wanted their
business. This situation makes me feel as if Highsmith has taken over
the CLSP program and they now call the shots.  Say this isn't so.  I
hope enough states are speaking up to both CLSP and Highsmith this is
not acceptable.

Dana

Dana Campbell, Youth Services Librarian
Corvallis-Benton County Public Library