[kids-lib] Oregon adopts Common Standards in English Language Arts

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Nov 22 09:12:25 PST 2010

Hello! I subscribe to the English Teacher Update monthly newsletter from the Oregon Department of Education.  This month there is one article of particular note to youth services librarians in public libraries regarding Oregon's adoption of the Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts for K-12.

State Board Adopts the Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts and Mathematics

In October, Oregon joined 40 other states and territories in adopting the English Language Arts and Mathematics Common Core State Standards.  The Common Core State Standards is a state-led effort coordinated by the National Governors Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers. The standards were developed in collaboration with teachers, school administrators, and other experts to provide a consistent framework from state to state to prepare students for college and the workforce.  Students in Oregon could start seeing these standards implemented as soon as the next school year (2011-2012).  To learn more about the Common Core State Standards go to: http://www.corestandards.org/

What does this mean for you as a public librarian?  These standards tell us exactly what skills students will be expected to gain each year and retain to build on in upcoming grades.  Those of you who attended the CSD meeting a few years ago at which a school librarian presented may remember that she recommended that youth services librarians should know where to find and how to access the Oregon education standards.  She explained that if a student comes into the library with an assignment and they aren't able to explain it very well  you can look up the standards to help you figure out what skills the teacher is probably trying to teach. Thus, you'll be able to provide much better homework help.  You could also use these standards as a framework for the storytimes and other literacy programs and activities at your library.  This is an excellent way to support your local schools, teachers, parents, and children!

For example:
Let's say my library is planning a beginning chapter books club.  I will look at the "Reading Standards for Literature K-5: Grade 2 students" (page 11 of  http://www.corestandards.org/assets/CCSSI_ELA%20Standards.pdf) to prepare 6-10 questions in advance of each book club meeting.  Based on standard #1 I will be sure to prepare who, what, where, when, why and how questions.  And, I will invite kids to ask questions of their own.  Based on standard #3 I will be sure to prepare a questions asking the kids how the main character responded to a major event or challenge in the story.

Here is the complete article:

1.      State Board Adopts the Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts and Mathematics
        On October 28, 2010, the Oregon State Board of Education adopted the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) that represent K-12 learning expectations for students in English-language arts http://www.corestandards.org/assets/CCSSI_ELA%20Standards.pdf and mathematics http://www.corestandards.org/assets/CCSSI_Math%20Standards.pdf.
        “Today marks an important step forward in raising expectations for our students,” said State Board of Education Chair Brenda Frank. “We know that our students will compete for jobs with students from all over the world. By adopting the Common Core State Standards we are taking an important step forward to ensure that we are providing Oregon students with the tools they need to be globally competitive." Oregon joins 40 states and territories that have adopted, or have indicated they will adopt, the CCSS.
        Feedback on the standards has been shared with the State Board of Education regularly over this past year. The ODE is pleased that much of Oregon’s feedback is reflected in the final Common Core State Standards.
What’s Next?
        Students could begin seeing Common Core Standards as soon as the next school year (2011‑12). The Common Core Standards will not entirely replace Oregon’s existing standards as many of the Common Core Standards are contained in existing Oregon content standards. A draft implementation timeline was presented to the Board in October as a starting point for a statewide implementation blueprint. Moving to Common Core in two content areas and replacing the statewide assessment in these subjects represents a major change for Oregon. Representatives from each level of the education enterprise will need to provide input to build a solid implementation blueprint. ODE is convening a State Implementation Team which will use the draft implementation framework as a starting point for crafting this blueprint.
        It is expected that states adopting the Common Core Standards will also implement a common assessment. Along with 30 other states, Oregon is a member of the SMARTER Balanced Assessment consortium that has formed to explore common assessment options. Until a common assessment is designed, piloted, and implemented, however, ODE will continue using the Oregon Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (OAKS).

  *   ODE News Release: http://www.ode.state.or.us/news/releases/default.aspx?yr=2010&kw=&rid=780
  *   ODE Common Core FAQ:
  *   http://www.ode.state.or.us/superintendent/priorities/common-core-state-standards-faq.doc
  *   ODE Common Core State Standards Website: http://www.ode.state.or.us/search/page/?id=2860