[kids-lib] Mock Newbery/Caldecott lists?

Rick Samuelson ricks at wccls.org
Fri Oct 8 12:48:37 PDT 2010

Hey,

I just got the list yesterday.  I've been so busy I haven't had a chance
to distribute it to all registered folks, yet... but here it is!  If
you're registered, you will see this again in another email.  I
apologize for the cross-posting.

Here's a message from the folks leading the workshop:

Thanks for registering for the 2011 WLA/OLA Mock Newbery Program, which
takes place on Friday, December 10, 2010, from 10:00 - 4:00 pm at the
Cascade Park Library in Vancouver, Washington.  Attached is the reading
list for the program.  Since the deliberations of the Newbery Committee
are confidential, no one else knows which books from 2010 are the
strongest contenders.  This list of seven titles was developed by the
programming planning committee, taking into account literary quality,
published reviews, discussion potential, and variety of ages and genres.

All participants should read all seven of these books before December
10, since a good portion of the program will be spent discussing them in
depth.  The attached handout "Exploring Literary Elements" provides some
terminology and some ideas to consider as you read and think about the
books.  We hope you enjoy the reading and look forward to seeing you in
December.

Thanks everybody.  And happy reading!!!

Rick Samuelson, Youth Services Librarian
Washington County Cooperative Library Services
(503) 648-9785 x5#