[kids-lib] CAPTCHA on Citation Maker (OSLIS)

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Fri Apr 13 10:25:09 PDT 2012

Please pardon the cross-posting.

[OSLIS is an information literacy website and the portal for K12 Oregon students and educators to access the statewide subscription databases.]

In order to reduce SPAM bot traffic on OSLIS' Citation Maker, we added a simple CAPTCHA<http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=CAPTCHA%26i=39272,00.asp>. Before being able to access any of the templates on any version of Citation Maker, users are prompted to enter a number between 0 and 9. A visual cue is provided in that the normally yellow source column on the right is initially grey but turns yellow again once the user enters a number between 0 and 9. Entering the CAPTCHA one time gives the user access to all of the templates until the browser session is closed.

I tested the feature in multiple browsers and had no problems. If you notice any issues, please report them to me.

On a different subject, we are working with a vendor on the OSLIS rebuild and estimate that the full OSLIS site will be available in early summer. Until then, OSLIS Lite<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/pipermail/libs-or/2012-January/011189.html> will remain live. The three versions of Citation Maker are linked at the bottom of OSLIS Lite. www.oslis.org<http://www.oslis.org>

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant