[kids-lib] Engaging parents in early literacy: An online professional development opportunity tomorrow 12/13

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Wed Dec 12 15:17:09 PST 2012

Greetings! Please join us for...

SPELL Project Webinar: A dialogue on engaging parents in early literacy<http://spellproject.weebly.com/webinars.html> (http://spellproject.weebly.com/webinars.html)

Date: Thursday, Dec 13th

Time: 10:00am to 11:00am (MST)
(No registration required. A recording will be available.)

We will have 4 panelists that will each discuss their programs and address the following:
1) How the same approach can be applied to libraries
2) How libraries can partner successfully with a program like theirs
We will then have 15 minutes for the panelists to address the audience's questions.

Panelists<http://spellproject.weebly.com/webinars.html>
1) Pamela Martin-Díaz, Manager, Shawnee Branch Library, Allen County Public Library

2) Tomás Mejía, Principal Consultant, Colorado Migrant Education Program

3) Dragana Saas, Ready to Read Program Leader, Columbus Metropolitan Library

4) Megan Wilson, Executive Director, Reach Out and Read Colorado

SPELL Project<http://spellproject.weebly.com/>

As part of the Supporting Parents in Early Literacy through Libraries Project, which is funded by the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the Colorado State Library is currently researching best practices in reaching low-income parents of children birth through 3 with early literacy awareness and training. We are researching practices, programs and partnerships with other agencies that have been found to be successful (or not successful) in engaging and supporting parents in their role in building early literacy. While early literacy and low-income families are the focus of our project, we are interested in hearing about efforts in many types of communities.

If you have questions about the SPELL Project, please contact Beth Crist, at crist_b at cde.state.co.us<mailto:crist_b at cde.state.co.us>

We look forward to you joining us on Thursday, December 13th!

Best,

Vivienne

Vivienne Houghton, MLIS

Research Fellow