[kids-lib] 2012 Letters About Literature winners!

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri May 11 10:21:53 PDT 2012

OREGONIAN RECEIVES 2012 LETTERS ABOUT LITERATURE NATIONAL HONOR AWARD

This year 59,000 students in 4th-12th grade entered Letters About Literature nationally.  856 of those students were from Oregon.  All students send their entries to the National Letters About Literature coordinator who facilitates the first round of judging.  In March, the Oregon judges reviewed 70 letters from Oregon students that made it to the second round of judging and selected our State winners, runners up and honorable mentions.

I would like to thank the 2012 Letters About Literature judges who took time from their busy schedules to read all the letters, often reviewing each letter multiple times, and for getting together to have a thoughtful discussion.

  *   Author, Linda Crew
  *   Author, Susan Blackaby
  *   Author, Leah Wilcox
  *   School Librarian, Kathy Otto
  *   School Librarian, Steve Cox
  *   School Librarian, Linda Bilyeu
  *   Library Branch Manager, Marianne Coalson
  *   Youth Services Librarian, Victoria Campbell
  *   Young Adult Librarian, April Witteveen

The 56 semi-finalists received $10 Barnes & Noble gift cards, 8 honorable mentions received $25 Barnes & Noble gift cards, three runners-up received $50 cash, and the three winners received $100 cash, a $50 Target gift certificate. The three winners' letters also went on to compete in the final round of national judging. These state level prizes would not be possible without generous support from Target Stores, and our local co-sponsors:

  *   OLA's  Children's Services Division (CSD)
  *   OLA's Young Adult Network (OYAN)
  *   Oregon Association for School Libraries
  *   Oregon Reading Association.

The Oregon Center for the Book is pleased to announce that Lucia Hadella, one of Oregon's three winners, was selected as a national 2012 Letters About Literature honor award winner. As a national honor, Lucia received a $100 Target GiftCard and her school library at Phoenix High School in Jackson County will receive a $1,000 grant for new library books and programs for all their students to enjoy.

All of Oregon's Letters About Literature winners did a wonderful job, and their letters are evidence that teachers and students are doing great work in our state.

Level I (4th-6th Grade)

Honorable Mentions
*         Juliet Raedeke, Ashland
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairy Land,
Catherynne Valente
*         Anonymous
Bud Not Buddy,
Christopher Paul Curtis
*         Anonymous
Wings, Aprilynne Pike

Runner-up
*         Sasha Bartoo-Smith, Portland
So B. It, Sarah Weeks

First Place
*         Sinead Pyle, Ashland
Stargirl, Lisa Graff

Level II (7th & 8th Grade)

Honorable Mentions
*         Felicity Rizzo, Portland
Love Drugged,
James Klise
*         Dora Totoian, Roseburg
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn,
Betty Smith
*         Taylor Ishida, Portland
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,
J.K. Rowling

Runner-up
*         Anonymous
If, Rudyard Kipling

First Place
*         Ella Beaver, Portland
The House at Pooh  Corner,
A.A. Milne

Level III (9th - 12th Grade)

Honorable Mentions
*         Anonymous
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking,
Malcolm Gladwell
*         Kelsi Gammon, Tigard
The Help, Kathryn  Stockett

Runner-up