[kids-lib] Call for Ideas: 2015 Kids Summer Reading Program Manual due September 30th

Rick Samuelson ricks at wccls.org
Mon Aug 12 08:06:56 PDT 2013

CALL FOR IDEAS!
2015 CSLP Kids Summer Library Program Manual
Theme: HEROES
Slogan: EVERY HERO HAS A STORY

Deadline: September 30, 2013

Hi gang,

Have you gotten great ideas out of past CSLP Summer Reading Manuals?  Are you a programming expert who loves sharing their ideas?  Do you feel passionate about making sure all kids have the best summer possible, packed full of regular trips to the library?

The CSLP Summer Reading Manuals are being developed as we speak and they are sure to be awesome... but, they can be awesomer!  All they need is your help!!

If you have an incredible and heroic idea, please consider passing it along to the 2015 CSLP Children's Manual Committee care of the Children's Manual editor Amanda Struckmeyer: amandacmoss at gmail.com<mailto:amandacmoss at gmail.com>

Ideas can suit either a Pre-K or School-aged children audience.  Just make sure you get them in by September 30th if you want them to be considered.

See below for more details............

THANK YOU!!!

Rick Samuelson, Youth Services Librarian
Washington County Cooperative Library Services
111 NE Lincoln, MS 58A
Hillsboro, OR 97124
(503) 648-9785 5#
ricks at wccls.org
"The clever men at Oxford
Know all that there is to be knowed.
But they none of them know one half as much
As intelligent Mr Toad!"
-Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

EARLY LITERACY MANUAL CALL FOR IDEAS:

Good Morning!

The following is a message from our manual editor, Amanda Struckmeyer:
Summer 2015 may not be right around the corner, but we're in the process of writing the 2015 Collaborative Summer Library Program early literacy manual, and we need your ideas!
Our theme is "Every Hero Has a Story," and our working chapter titles are:

*        The hero inside you

*        The heroes in your family

*        The heroes at your school

*        The heroes in your community

*        The heroes in books

*        Heroes make us feel better

*        Heroes save the world

*        Four legged and feathered heroes

We would love your ideas for activities, crafts, books, and music for babies, toddlers and preschoolers!
Please respond by September 30, 2013.
Send your ideas to:
Amanda Struckmeyer
309 N. Hillside Terrace
Madison, WI  53705
(608) 256-9737
amandacmoss at gmail.com<mailto:amandacmoss at gmail.com>

--
Michelle Willis
Scotch Plains Public Library

CHILDREN'S MANUAL CALL FOR IDEAS

Hello everyone,
I am the chair of the Children's Manual Committee. We look forward to having a heroic summer in 2015 but we need your help. Please send all of your super ideas to our new Children's Manual editor, Amanda Struckmeyer. They should be intended for Grades K-4 and families. Any tips on making them inclusive are welcome also. There will be a separate call for ideas for the Early Literacy Manual. Thank you for sharing your creativity nationwide! If you have any questions, please let me know.

Pam Carlson, Children's Librarian
Main Library
Long Beach (CA) Public Library
e-mail: pam.carlson at lbpl.org<mailto:pam.carlson at lbpl.org>

What I'm reading today: Pandor Gets Frightened by Carolyn Hennessy and Attracted to Fire by DiAnn Mills

Summer 2015 may not be right around the corner, but we're in the process of writing the 2015 Collaborative Summer Library Program children's manual, and we need your ideas!
Our theme is "Every Hero Has a Story," and our working chapter titles are:
*         Community Heroes (helpers in the community, family members)
*         Heroes throughout History (heroes in mythology, tall tales, true stories of historical heroes)
*         Superhero Training Camp (children get the superhero experience as they dress up and act like superheroes)
*         Trusty Sidekicks (focusing on the often overlooked but very important sidekick)
*         Superheroes to the Rescue (superheroes in books, conventional and not-so-conventional superheroes)
We would love your ideas for activities, crafts, books, and music!
We are especially interested in your ideas for:
*         School visits and other ways of promoting the program in your community (a skit or puppet show is always welcome!)
*         Setting the scene: library decorations, bulletin boards, props, etc.
*         Family literacy programs
*         Original puppet plays, especially for one or two puppeteers
*         Outreach ideas for underserved groups
Please respond by September 30, 2013.  Send your ideas to:
Amanda Struckmeyer
309 N. Hillside Terrace
Madison, WI  53705
(608) 256-9737
amandacmoss at gmail.com<mailto:amandacmoss at gmail.com>

All Oregon public, volunteer, and tribal libraries are members of the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP), and receive a free summer reading manual.  To get the most out of your membership, create an account on the CSLP website (http://www.cslpreads.org/) and you will be able to access additional summer reading resources. CSLP membership dues and manual fees are paid for by the State Library with LSTA funds. Summer reading manuals are distributed by OLA's Children's Services Division summer reading chair, summer reading feedback and suggestions are collected by OLA's Young Adult Network CSLP Liaison, and all four of us listed below represent you on CSLP committees and at the CSLP annual meeting.
 For more information contact one of your CSLP representatives:

  *   Rick Samuelson, CSD Summer Reading Chair: ricks at wccls.org<mailto:ricks at wccls.org>
  *   Danielle Jones, CSD Summer Reading Incoming Chair: daniellej at multco.us<mailto:daniellej at multco.us>
  *   Abbie Anderson, OYAN CSLP Liaison: aanderson at cclsd.org<mailto:aanderson at cclsd.org>
  *   Katie Anderson, CSLP Oregon State Representative: katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>