[kids-lib] Mini-Library Ideas

MILLER Anne M Anne.M.Miller at ci.eugene.or.us
Wed Aug 14 12:55:15 PDT 2013

I have created deposit collections that go to school family resource centers, Headstart, and a couple of other places. In our case, they are all Spanish or bilingual books. We check out books from our circulating collection to a library account called “deposit collections” and give each place a list of what they have. We use very sturdy plastic containers with lids that hold about 50 books and our custodians deliver and pick up these containers. There is a contract with a specific person at each place and it is left up to them whether they want to check them out or leave them at their site. Each place provides their own shelving space for the books. We change their collections from 1-3 times per year. Although our contract states that it is ok to have damage and loss of 5%, we have had almost no losses over several years.

Your idea of putting books in places kids have to wait is excellent! I expect you might have some higher losses at some of these places because they would be more difficult to oversee.

You are welcome to call me or write me if you’d like to talk more about your project.

Anne Miller
Youth Services Librarian
Eugene Public Library
100 West 10th Avenue