[kids-lib] Read Across America Day: Hats and Toothbrushes

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Mon Feb 4 07:56:05 PST 2013

This interesting article from The New York Times shows a side of Dr. Seuss I did not know about it. It seems Mr. Geisel was a hat collector, and often he encouraged guests and coworkers to don hats for inspiration or entertainment. That made me think that a hat contest, or something else around the theme of hats (not just silly ones), could put a different spin on activities for Read Across America day, which is, of course, around the corner on March 1st.

http://www.nea.org/grants/886.htm
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/04/books/dr-seuss-himself-was-a-cat-in-the-hat.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130204

Also, did you know that the National Education Association (NEA) has partnered with Renaissance Dental to also promote good oral health on Read Across America day? The message is 2 x 2 + 20 = good oral health and literacy habits. “'We’re asking children and their parents to brush for two minutes, two times per day plus read for 20 minutes each day,' said Rob Mulligan, president and CEO at Renaissance Dental. 'That’s a daily total of 24 minutes focused on developing good oral health and reading skills.'”

http://www.nea.org/home/54327.htm
http://2min2x.org/

FYI,
Jen