[kids-lib] SL3: School Libraries, Summer Lunch, and Summer Learning

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Jul 2 15:53:36 PDT 2013

You may have read some of my recent emails that vaguely mention a project to keep school libraries open over the summer and encourage public libraries to partner with those school libraries. The project is called SL3: School Libraries, Summer Lunch, and Summer Learning.

Here is an article to learn more about it; it also identifies which school libraries are participating: http://www.oregonask.org/content/combat-summer-learning-loss-summer-food-meets-summer-reading

The article doesn't provide details about how local public libraries and the State Library support this project. Here is a little more information about that:

*         All participating school library were required to contact their local public library to inquire about partnering to provide summer reading activities to the kids attending the school for lunch and the school library. I provided participating schools with library contact information.

*         If a public library was not able to partner with the school, then the State Library provided them with several summer reading activities from the CSLP Summer Reading Manual that they can choose to use this summer.

*         OregonASK sponsored a webinar for staff responsible for running the school library during the summer. I presented during this webinar on how to help kids select the right book based on reading level and interest and several suggestions on what to do to help kids maintain their reading level.

This project is part of the State Library's efforts to partner more with the Oregon Department of Education to encourage summer lunch sites, public libraries, and school libraries to partner over the summer. There is interest among the National Summer Learning Association, USDA, OregonASK, the Oregon Department of Education, and the State library in expanding this project if it is successful.

Please let me know if you have any questions or ideas.

Thanks,
Katie

[cid:image003.jpg at 01CE4751.8A8D6B50]<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/youthsvcs/oregon.srp.certificate.aspx>
Summer Reading 2013 at Oregon libraries<http://libdir.osl.state.or.us/>!