[kids-lib] Research in the News: Can We See Reading Comprehension in the Brain? (Ed Week Article)

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Wed Nov 13 12:59:45 PST 2013

I thought you might be interested in this Education Week article: http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/inside-school-research/2013/11/reading_comprehension_in_the_brain.html. It's so new I'm not even sure the possible implications on practices or library services, but I know a lot of you are interested in brain science.

Here is the gist of it copied and pasted directly from the article:

*         When participants read and understood the text well, there was a significant difference in their brain activity between when the words were read in proper order (shown in red) versus when they were read randomly (shown in blue) [follow link above to see chart]

*         By contrast, those who did not comprehend what they read had similar patterns of brain activity regardless of whether they read words one by one in order (red) or randomly (blue) [follow link above to see chart]