[kids-lib] Get more families participating in SRP together!

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Oct 8 14:43:22 PDT 2013

Hi! Many 2013-2014 Ready to Read Grants projects are striving to get more families participating in summer reading together as a family. As luck would have it, there was a presentation on family SRP at the recent Association of Rural and Small Libraries and the presenter shared the PowerPoint which may be useful to you and your library no matter how small or big it is!

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8UF9E1ZBUyyTjFJQ2tYc0QwbDg/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

Please note slide 11 which shows a great example of a family summer reading record which includes things like:

*         Check out a cookbook and try a new recipe

*         Play a board game or a game of cards together

*         Listen to an audio book on a family car trip

*         Take a photo of your family visiting a library

Slide 15 describes a reading log on which families can track their literacy activities in a number of ways:

*         Time spent reading quietly and independently, but in the same place together as a family (something my family loved to do when my sister and I were teens!)

*         Time spent reading out loud together

*         Time spent participating in library activities together

Heidi Schutt from Muir Library and Dianne Pinney from Le Sueur Public Library (both in MN) created and presented this PowerPoint presentation-thanks!

Enjoy,
Katie

[cid:image001.png at 01CEC433.7B968000]
Pick up your 2014 summer reading manual<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/youthsvcs/oregon.srp.certificate.aspx#Summer_Reading_Manuals_> and get science programming training at
OLA's Children's Services Division's fall workshop<https://ola.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_mc&view=mc&mcid=form_149058>
Saturday, October 19, 2013 at Tigard Public Library