[kids-lib] Review of Helen Frost's SALT: A STORY OF FRIENDSHIP IN A TIME OF WAR by a Native American

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Oct 14 08:28:22 PDT 2013

I've shared information from Debbie Reese's American Indians in Children's Literature website several times now. Here is her review of Helen Frost's SALT: A STORY OF FRIENDSHIP IN A TIME OF WAR<http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/2013/10/initial-thoughts-about-helen-frosts.html> which is receiving rave reviews-including a few starred reviews!
I assume, due to its popularity and positive reviews from some tribal members, most libraries will include this title in their collection, but it may be helpful to know a few of the historical inconsistencies. I think this is a good example of how difficult it can be to review and select culturally competent books.
Thanks,
Katie

[cid:image001.png at 01CEC8B6.6D4255B0]
Pick up your 2014 summer reading manual<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/youthsvcs/oregon.srp.certificate.aspx#Summer_Reading_Manuals_> and get science programming training at
OLA's Children's Services Division's fall workshop<https://ola.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_mc&view=mc&mcid=form_149058>
Saturday, October 19, 2013 at Tigard Public Library