[kids-lib] Small Library Storytimes - Looking for Advice

Taylor Worley youthlib.taylor at creswell-library.org
Tue Feb 4 11:02:32 PST 2014

Hello,

I'm looking for some information regarding storytimes in libraries with
under a 10,000 service population. Specifically, I'm curious as to how you
incorporate all ages into very few storytimes. Right now, I have the
following three in-library storytimes:

Itty Bitty Storytime (Ages 0-2)
PreK Storytime (Ages 3-5)
Family Storytime (All Ages, but we usually see ages 2-7 at this one)

Our largest storytime by far is our PreK, but a number of the families
dislike that the storytime doesn't hold their young kids' (ages 1 and 2)
attention or that the after-storytime craft is too complicated for the
younger age group. I've tried to be accommodating by providing and
after-storytime sensory play area that usually isn't set up, etc., but I
haven't changed the focus age of the storytime. I'm also trying to add more
repetition from week to week without "getting stale." (I already use the
same structure, opening/closing songs, etc.)

The families also seem resistant to trying the younger storytime and we've
had trouble building a regular attendance base for that program.

I'd be very interested to hear from other libraries that have had this type
of problem (or if this is a unique problem for me, that's good to know too)
and how you've approached or successfully resolved the issue.

Thank you!

P.S. I'm happy to collect and forward responses to anyone who is
interested, just let me know if you'd like the information.
--
Taylor Worley | Youth & Community Services Librarian, Creswell Library