[kids-lib] CSD Fall Workshop

Heather McNeil heatherm at dpls.lib.or.us
Mon Sep 8 10:05:21 PDT 2014

What could be better than fall in sunny, central Bend?  Attending the CSD Fall Workshop while in Bend!  This workshop will focus on many topics that affect our relationships with schools, early literacy partners and our patrons.  The CSD Fall Workshop is Saturday, October 11, from 10-3:30 at the Downtown Bend Library.  Here are the topics:

*         Michelle Munro, from Ready2Learn, will update us on kindergarten assessment, so that we can create components of our storytimes that address the skills children need when entering kindergarten.

*         A representative from the Central Oregon Early Learning Hub will talk to us about all the hubbub about Hubs.  What are they?  What do all the acronyms mean?  What role can we have in participating with the Hubs in our regions?

*         Katie Anderson will update us about the State Library and Ready to Read.

*         We'll have an open discussion about passive programming.   This is especially relevant to those in small libraries with limited staffing, but we can all benefit from getting ideas about programs that require minimal or no staff involvement.  Please be willing to share passive programming ideas you have tried.

*         Are you involved with an early literacy grant in your region?  Please be ready to give a brief report on what you're doing and what you've learned.

*         Silent Auction.  This is CSD's annual endeavor to raise money for our scholarship fund.  Please bring along items to put up for auction.  Clothing, jewelry, books, household decorations-anything is acceptable.  We already have commitment from Phil Orleski with Permabound to have some books for auction, as well as books from Natasha Forrester's time with the 2014 Caldecott Committee.  Bring your check books and wallets!

You'll find registration information here.<http://www.olaweb.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129>  And don't forget about the Showcase of Performers on September 27 at the Salem Public Library, the Mock Sibert on December 13 at the Wilsonville Public Library (you won't believe who's going to be the guest speaker!!!), and the Mock Caldecott on January 10 at the Salem Public Library.

Heather McNeil
Youth Services Manager
Deschutes Public Library
(541) 617-7099