[kids-lib] In the News: We need CURRENT diverse books

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Apr 28 11:19:18 PDT 2015

Hi! I received two emails this morning that are related, and I thought some of you might be interested in.

1)      A research study was recently completed that provides evidence for something we've long suspected: Most of the children's and teen books with Native American representation in them are historical representations. Few books are contemporary representations of Native Americans. This study specifically found that 88% children's and teen books that represent Native Americans, represent them as they were before 1950 and 12% of books represent Native American's post 1950. I knew it was bad, but I had no idea it is this bad! Can your young Native American patrons find enough books in your library with kids like them that takes place in the present time? Read more: http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/2015/04/native-american-representation-in.html

2)      Can your young diverse patrons find books in your library with kids like them doing regular kid stuff? Books that aren't about diversity, but just happen to have diverse kids doing regular kid stuff. Here's a short great article by Matt de la Peña about the value of these kinds of books: http://www.readbrightly.com/how-we-talk-or-dont-talk-about-diversity-when-we-read-with-our-kids/

3)      Now may be a good time to reevaluate your collection, do a some weeding and do a little buying to try to create more balance in your collection so your young patrons can find themselves in a book that's relevant to their lives now. As those all those books are being returned by your summer readers, take a minute to look at the book and determine if it should be re-shelved or if it should be withdrawn. You might even print a copy of the weeding section of your collection development policy and post it where is most convenient for you-e.g. tape it to your shelving cart, post it where you check-in books. After summer reading is over, get off your feet and take a little time to sit down and select new books to fill the gaps and balance your collection. I bet you could use the Ready to Read grant to fund this project;) Just contact me to request a change to your grant project.

Thanks,
Katie
Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>

[OYAN_logo_clr.JPG]<http://www.olaweb.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=289>
Talk about new teen books, teen programming ideas, and more at
OLA's Oregon Young Adult Network spring meeting<http://www.olaweb.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=174>
Friday, May 1, 2015 at Corvallis-Benton County Public Library<http://cbcpubliclibrary.net/>