[kids-lib] Suggestions: Book talking for 3rd graders on biography

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Wed Dec 30 16:22:49 PST 2015

Hi Debbie,

When I was still in the schools, I often used these two biographies for read-alouds.

My Name Is Georgia: A Portrait by Jeanette Winter

http://www.amazon.com/My-Name-Is-Georgia-Portrait/dp/015204597X

Duke Ellington: The Piano Prince and His Orchestra

            http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Ellington-Piano-Prince-Orchestra/dp/0786814209<http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Ellington-Piano-Prince-Orchestra/dp/0786814209/>

For the first, I shared pictures from a Georgia O’Keefe calendar before reading the story. For the second, we closed our eyes and listened to some Duke Ellington tunes after hearing the story.

Depending on time, perhaps you could find 5 to 10 biographies to feature (contemporary & historical; sciences, arts, history, etc.), and instead of booktalking each specifically, you could do a quick group activity. Introduce the concept of biographies and that there are books about people from now and long ago and who are famous for a variety of reasons. Have big cards with the biography subjects’ names and other cards with an image and/or fact that represents them, and have students guess at matching them. For example, for Georgia O’Keefe, you could feature one of her paintings. For Duke Ellington, you could show a piano and music notes, and have a QR code that links to one of his songs that students could listen to an excerpt of. For a sports figure, perhaps show something related to the sport (maybe a basketball) and include a statistic (most free throw points in an NBA game). Etc. Once students have paired the cards, go through as a group confirming or rearranging. Once a match is correct, show the book that relates to the card duo.

Ultimately, the point of your “booktalk” would be to get students interested in reading biographies, and they could read any bio, not just those featured in your activity. Maybe you could gather a crate of biographies and check them out to the teacher/s for use in the classroom.

Here a few lists of picture book biographies that I found.

            https://nerdybookclub.wordpress.com/2013/01/05/top-ten-biographical-picture-books-by-alyson-beecher/
            https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/biography-picture-books
            http://www.slj.com/2013/12/reviews/books/picture-book-biographies-portals-to-the-past/

Good luck!