[kids-lib] Oregon Librarians Featured on Gale's Blog

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Wed Sep 2 16:12:37 PDT 2015

Two Oregon librarians, Jan Snyder from the Oregon City School District and Jen Maurer from the State Library, are featured in a Gale Blog post this week. They highlight how the Gale statewide databases can be used to build curriculum and to support day-to-day instruction. The link to part 1 of their post is below. Look for part 2 next week: http://blog.gale.com/.

Driving Electronic Content Discovery and Usage: Collaboration - Part 1
http://blog.gale.com/driving-electronic-content-discovery-and-usage-collaboration-part-1/

Here are a few key points:

*         database content supports day-to-day instruction. For example, because Common Core stresses close reading of informational text, I demonstrate how teachers can identify an article within Gale and add a bookmark<http://solutions.cengage.com/gale-training/materials/tip-sheets/> link to it on an assignment sheet.

*         Classes in Oregon City are created through the Gale CLiC<http://solutions.cengage.com/clic/> (Classrooms in Context) platform. (Other platforms would function well, too.)

*         This easily updatable digital curriculum format allows "one-stop shopping" for staff and students for content.

*         The scope and sequence of units are listed in the left column of the page with each topic having links to specific content including articles at various reading levels, video clips, podcasts, charts, graphs, images, etc.

*         The ability to scaffold information for classrooms needing a variety of reading levels, and different learning styles, is extremely helpful to both the students and teachers. As a "living, breathing" curriculum, content can easily be updated as information becomes available.

*         In addition to Gale articles, we add video clips from Learn360, our video streaming database, articles from our World Book electronic encyclopedia, and, where appropriate, information from other databases, such as CultureGrams and Issues and Controversies in US History.

Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>
[cid:image004.png at 01D0358C.4523C4D0]<https://www.facebook.com/ORLibSupport>  [http://www.thewwwblog.com/images/blogger-logo.jpg] <http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/>   [http://www.aethlonmedical.com/assets/001/5130.png] <https://twitter.com/orlibsupport>   [Picture] <http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/Pages/index.aspx>