[kids-lib] Mock Belpré Coordinator

Barratt Miller BMiller at crooklib.org
Tue Sep 8 10:02:55 PDT 2015

As you probably know, OLA'S Children's Services Division does a Mock Award workshop every year. This year, we'd like to highlight the Pura Belpré Award and provide some professional development opportunities for children's librarians serving Oregon's Spanish-speaking communities.

BUT! In order to offer this workshop, we need a coordinator! E-mail me if you'd like to take the lead or would like to nominate someone awesome to coordinate.

So you know what you're getting into: The CSD Mock Pura Belpré Award Coordinator has two primary tasks:

1. Arrange the full day Saturday event prior to the announcement of the ALA Youth Media Awards at the 2016 Midwinter Conference (no later than January 9, 2016)

·       Half day workshop for librarians focusing on services to Spanish-speaking members of our communities (outreach, programs, selecting materials for our collections, etc.)

o   Presenter may be an Oregon librarian or an expert from outside the Oregon library community

o   CSD will provide up to $1000 to bring in a presenter from outside the Oregon library community

·       Half day mock award committee

2. Compile shortlist of eligible titles through nominations and lead award discussion, following official Pura Belpré Award guidelines: http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/belpremedal

Barratt Miller, MSLIS
Assistant Director
Crook County Library
175 NW Meadow Lakes Drive
Prineville, OR 97754
541-447-7978 ext 303
bmiller at crooklib.org<mailto:bmiller at crooklib.org>
Crook County Library - Experience the Journey!