[kids-lib] FW: Urgente! Mock Pura Belpré Award

Martín Blasco MartinB at wccls.org
Tue Sep 8 15:16:46 PDT 2015

Sorry, forgot the attachments.

~Martín

From: Martín Blasco
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 3:10 PM
To: reforma_or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us; kids-lib at listsmart.osl.state.or.us; Latino Services; Youth Services Librarians
Subject: Urgente! Mock Pura Belpré Award

Hi Everyone:

As you can see below, the OLA’s Children’s Services Division has invited all librarians working with the Latino community to organize a Mock Pura Belpré Award (first time in Oregon!). I volunteer to be the coordinator for this event, but I need your help:

1.       Does anybody know of a presenter, or presenters, that can share her/his expertise in issues related to outreach, programs, collection development, etc. related to Latino childrens? (you can read below that this person may be somebody from Oregon or an expert from other states.)

2.       I will need a group of volunteers to help me organize the meeting and collect books submissions.

3.       If your library can host the event (if this is not possible, I could check in Washington County)

4.       Can you begin submitting titles of books published during 2015?

Attached you’ll find two documents. One with the Pura Belpré Award terms and criteria, the other, a form for submitting titles of books (taking into account the criteria for the prize.)

Let’s take advantage of this opportunity. We, as librarians, are taking great steps to improve our work with the Latino community, for lots of us, our community. I hope that you are interested.
One of the conditions is to do this event before January 2016 (when the real Pura Belpré committee selects the best books). Sometime in December (maybe at the beginning).
Attached you’ll find more info about the award. This information will help us to organize the mock award.
If you’re interested, please, contact me. Thank you so much, in advance, for your help.
Have a great week,

Martín

Martín Blasco
Outreach Librarian for Latino and Youth Services Program
Washington County Cooperative Library Services | 503-681-5093
martinb at wccls.org<mailto:martinb at wccls.org> | facebook.org/bibliotecaswccls<http://www.facebook.org/bibliotecaswccls>

“[¿Y cómo te gustaría que te recordaran?] Como alguien que quería dar alegría a los demás, aunque no le saliera siempre.”
“[And, how would you like to be remembered?] Like somebody who wanted to give joy to others, even if I couldn’t do it all the time.”
María Elena Walsh (Argentine poet, novelist, musician, playwright, writer and composer, mainly known for her songs and books for children).