[kids-lib] ESSA, School Libraries, & Upcoming ODE Community Forums

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Thu Apr 21 12:31:32 PDT 2016

Please pardon the cross-posting.

Hi,

I shared this information on the OASL listserv this week, but I thought others might be interested, too.

“Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction Salam Noor, in partnership with local education leaders, is asking Oregonians to help reimagine education in our state. Community members are invited to…help build the Oregon State plan for the new federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) which replaces No Child Left Behind. ESSA allows Oregon to create a State Plan with increased flexibility in assessment, accountability, school improvement and educator effectiveness.”

A couple of forums have already taken place, but there are upcoming ones in Coos Bay, Eugene, Hood River, Portland, Ontario, Redmond, and Salem. This is a chance to advocate for what you value in education. If you want to discuss the role of strong school library programs, know that libraries are specifically included in ESSA<http://www.ala.org/aasl/sites/ala.org.aasl/files/content/aaslissues/esea/ALA-ESSA_Library_Opportunities.pdf>. ODE published a list of forum locations and dates<http://www.ode.state.or.us/search/page/?id=5493> and a proposed agenda<http://www.ode.state.or.us/superintendent/priorities/community-forum-template-agenda.pdf>.

Another way to have a voice in ESSA in Oregon is to send an email to ESSA.Oregon at state.or.us<mailto:ESSA.Oregon at state.or.us>. Emails to that account will reach ODE staff.

ODE created four ESSA work groups<http://www.ode.state.or.us/search/page/?id=5512>: Standards and Assessment, Accountability, School and District Improvement, and Educator Effectiveness. Reviewing each group’s charter might help you prepare for speaking at a forum, sending an email, or responding to a survey. In the next few weeks, ODE is expected to send out surveys specific to the work of the four ESSA work groups. When I get word about that, I’ll post to the OASL listserv and will try to remember to forward that.

There is also a different survey, this one from Oregon Rising<http://oregon-rising.org/>. That project is affiliated with the Confederation of Oregon School Administrators, Oregon Education Association, and Oregon School Boards Association. While it is not sponsored by ODE, I suspect results will eventually reach ODE staff. Oregon Rising describes itself<http://oregon-rising.org/About-the-Project> as “a public outreach effort about what Oregonians want for their children and their schools. At the heart of our work is the prompt to dream big. In the first phase, we ask that you describe the education Oregon students would receive, if it were up to you.”

Questions? Please ask.

Thanks,
Jen

Links
ODE’s ESSA Page / Forum Locations: http://www.ode.state.or.us/search/page/?id=5493
ODE ESSA Work Groups: http://www.ode.state.or.us/search/page/?id=5512
Forum Proposed Agenda: http://www.ode.state.or.us/superintendent/priorities/community-forum-template-agenda.pdf
Oregon Rising: http://oregon-rising.org/
About Oregon Rising: http://oregon-rising.org/About-the-Project
ALA’s Summary of ESSA and School Libraries: http://www.ala.org/aasl/sites/ala.org.aasl/files/content/aaslissues/esea/ALA-ESSA_Library_Opportunities.pdf

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant
Library Support and Development Services
Oregon State Library
250 Winter Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
503.378.5011