[kids-lib] Scholastic ends distribution of A Birthday Cake for George Washington and will accept returns

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Jan 19 08:49:25 PST 2016

I thought you might all be interested in the following information from Scholastic about A Birthday Cake for George Washington, by Ramin Ganeshram and illustrated by Vanessa Brantley-Newton. If you have this book in your collection, I recommend it you review it according to your collection development policy to decide whether or not to weed it. For your convenience, here is the review of this book<http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA436437548&v=2.1&u=sale38182&it=r&p=AONE&sw=w&asid=92a9c0c7378f132ba2659235a245b6b2#.Vp5olhz6-PI.email> by School Library Journal. If you decide to weed it, Scholastic is accepting all returns.

Questions? Contact Scholastic customer service<https://www.scholastic.com/custsupport/contact_us.htm>.

Scholastic News Room<http://mediaroom.scholastic.com/press-release/new-statement-about-picture-book-birthday-cake-george-washington>
New statement about the picture book "A Birthday Cake for George Washington"
January 17, 2016: Scholastic is announcing today that we are stopping the distribution of the book entitled A Birthday Cake for George Washington, by Ramin Ganeshram and illustrated by Vanessa Brantley-Newton, and will accept all returns. While we have great respect for the integrity and scholarship of the author, illustrator, and editor, we believe that, without more historical background on the evils of slavery than this book for younger children can provide, the book may give a false impression of the reality of the lives of slaves and therefore should be withdrawn.
Scholastic has a long history of explaining complex and controversial issues to children at all ages and grade levels. We do not believe this title meets the standards of appropriate presentation of information to younger children, despite the positive intentions and beliefs of the author, editor, and illustrator.
Scholastic provides a wide variety of fiction and informational books and magazines which teachers, parents and children rely on, including many devoted to African American experience, history and culture. We are also committed to providing books, magazines, and educational materials that portray the experience of all children, including those from diverse communities and backgrounds, and we will continue to expand that commitment through our global publishing channels

Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>
[cid:image004.png at 01D0358C.4523C4D0]<https://www.facebook.com/ORLibSupport>  [http://www.thewwwblog.com/images/blogger-logo.jpg] <http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/>   [http://www.aethlonmedical.com/assets/001/5130.png] <https://twitter.com/orlibsupport>   [Picture] <http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/Pages/index.aspx>