[kids-lib] Article: College Readiness and Library Research Skills: Observations from Oregon

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Thu Jul 7 09:50:52 PDT 2016

My coworker, Arlene Weible, wrote this blog post<https://acrloregon.org/2016/07/05/college-readiness-and-library-research-skills-observations-from-oregon/> for ACRL-Oregon about what Oregon academic librarians see first-year students struggle with when it comes to research. Many of you already do or are trying to start integrating more information literacy skills development into your public library programs. This article may give you some ideas about which skills to focus on.

Here are just a couple things that stood out to me as things public library staff can help children and teens learn:

·         I have had students write in an assignment, “books won’t have the information I need,” because they think all books are fiction. This is rare (happened twice).

·         Students don’t know what databases are, or even what journals are.

·         They do know they should not use Wikipedia as a source, but they don’t always know why.

·         They don’t understand the vocabulary of information. Not jargon, but even basic things like the difference between print and digital…

Here are two ideas we might steal:

·         I talk to freshman about how using library resources online is their invitation into a part of the invisible web that they now have access to for the first time… which intrigues them

·         You’d be surprised how often just typing your thesis statement into EBSCO or Gale (without quotes) is an excellent search strategy!”

Thanks,
Katie
Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>
[cid:image004.png at 01D0358C.4523C4D0]<https://www.facebook.com/ORLibSupport>  [http://www.thewwwblog.com/images/blogger-logo.jpg] <http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/>   [http://www.aethlonmedical.com/assets/001/5130.png] <https://twitter.com/orlibsupport>   [Picture] <http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/Pages/index.aspx>