[kids-lib] Need a few popular books this summer!

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Aug 7 15:27:00 PDT 2017

Thank you for the following suggestions of books you wish more kids knew about because they'd probably love them!

Chi's Sweet Home by Konami

This manga series features a super sweet kitten and her adventures.

Dino-Soccer by Lisa Wheeler

A series featuring so many sports, so many dinosaurs!

Fish in a Tree by Hunt

A girl who has always had trouble reading (and has managed to keep it a secret) finds a teacher who finally notices.

Flip-a-Word: Frog Jog by Harriet Ziefert

A series that switches the first sounds to create some silly sight word fun.

Girl Who Drank the Moon by Barnhill

A troubled village, an aging witch and a girl so full of magic she glows find themselves entwined in a fantastic mystery.

Inspector Flytrap by Angleberger

A detective that happens to be a fly-eating plant, assisted by a grumpy goat.

Jedi Academy by Brown

A Star Wars comic that follows a jedi-hopeful through a series of misadventures.

Lucy & Andy Neanderthal by Brown

A typical brother and sister growing up 40,000 years ago in the Stone Age.

Maybe Something Beautiful by Campoy

A little girl and a painter change a community with paintbrushes and some color.

Narwhal Unicorn of the Sea! by Ben Clanton

This graphic novel for youngers fits all the criteria for the young reader who absolutely has to read 'only' graphic novels (and find how cool these are!!) Geared for 1st through 5th, but younger big readers enjoy them.

Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales by Nathan Hale

A detailed and slightly humorous series that looks at amazing moments in American History.

Owl Diaries by Elliott

A colorful and cute series featuring an adorable owl.

Ranger's Apprentice

A series about a boy who wants to become a knight finds himself apprenticed to a spy instead.

Sophie Mouse by Poppy Greene

A gentle series that follows small critters in their woodland home.

The Underdogs by Sara Hammel
A clever mystery for younger teens with themes of friendship and identity-but as does any good mystery, it starts with a dead body and delivers a fabulous twist near the end. It is sooo good!  I say younger teens because the main character is 13-14, if I remember correctly but you could leave that part out.

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
The book is made up of legends/stories about tigers, dragons, kings and magic that make this fantasy book both exciting and leaving the reader wondering if it could really be possible.

York by Lara Ruby.
Ciphers and futuristic elements combine to create a suspenseful, sometimes humorous, mystery in which three kids follow complicated clues to find a treasure and save their home.

The Aztec Empire: An Interactive History Adventure (You Choose: Historical Eras Series)

What decisions would you make in history? Would you survive?

Katie Anderson
Youth Services Consultant
katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us> | 503-378-2528 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>