[kids-lib] Friday, August 7th Resources for Working with Schools This Fall

Greta Bergquist greta.bergquist at state.or.us
Fri Aug 7 11:38:36 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Friday. It sounds like it's been a tough week for some of you and I hope everyone is doing alright at the end of this long week. At Tuesday's office hours,<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus/youthsvcs> a big topic was how to work with schools in this upcoming school year and a few ideas were floated, from surveying the teachers you already work with to doing classroom visits virtually. I imagine this topic will keep coming up this month, so please join us next week if you have questions/comments/thoughts/ideas.

I wanted to share a couple resources with you as you are thinking about this:

1)      From friends in Colorado, here are 4 examples of library websites supporting students learning at home, with specific community resources that may help you all with structure as you work on your digital spaces for this kind of resource. I picked Colorado because they are also an independent western state :) and also these 4 pages are VERY DIFFERENT! Hopefully you can see the variety that will work just fine, depending on what your community needs, and see the kinds of services libraries are offering for school support in this time:

a.      Denver Public Library<https://kids.denverlibrary.org/at-home>

b.      Pikes Peak Library District<https://ppld.org/homeschool-hub/websites/31>

c.      Poudre River District<https://read.poudrelibraries.org/kids/homeschool>

d.      Arapahoe Libraries<https://arapahoelibraries.org/educator-support/>

2)      A couple professional development opportunities:

a.      School Library Journal Teen Live:<https://www.slj.com/?event=slj-teen-live-2020> You can still register and access this content for three months, and you may spy an Oregon librarian moderating a session! :) The Lunch Speaker session in particular may be helpful, as it's focused on digital literacy and checking sources - this would be super useful for other staff as well, it's sort of a mini-refresher class on checking your digital sources, which we can all use right now.

b.      This webinar on the power of school librarians<https://youtu.be/Styy6jG5GOk> may also be useful for you, too. Not everything may be applicable for public libraries, but these librarians had great ideas for sharing ways libraries can support students and families this year, including curating digital resources and collections, and offering social-emotional resources to families.

Best,

Greta

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant
503-378-2528 | www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/?hl=en> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[cid:image003.png at 01D66CAF.B252B650]