[kids-lib] FW: Please help the State Library better serve you!

NIELSEN Buzzy * SLO Buzzy.NIELSEN at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Nov 12 08:33:50 PST 2021

** Please forgive cross-postings. We're trying to get feedback from as many people as possible! **

Hi Youth Services folks!

We here at the State Library of Oregon would really appreciate your help. Every year, we're fortunate to receive about $2.5 million through the Library Services and Technology Act<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries/Pages/LSTA.aspx> (LSTA), administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services<https://www.imls.gov/>. These federal funds help pay for several programs and services, in whole or in part, that you or your library likely has used, including but not limited to:

  *   iREAD Summer Reading Program
  *   Expert consultants such as Greta Bergquist<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries/Pages/Contact.aspx>
  *   Free continuing education for library staff<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted>
  *   Oregon Battle of the Books<https://www.oregonbattleofthebooks.org/>

  *   Libros for Oregon<https://www.librosfororegon.org/>

  *   Oregon School Library Information System (OSLIS)<https://oslis.org/>

How we spend our LSTA funds in Oregon is governed by a Five-Year plan<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries/Documents/LSTA/2018-2022LSTAFiveYearPlanFinal.pdf>, similar to a strategic plan you might see in a library. That plan ends in 2022, so we're currently working with the library consulting firm Constructive Disruption<https://www.constructivedisruption.info/> to evaluate how we've been spending LSTA funds and, more importantly, gather data to write our next Five-Year Plan, which will cover 2023-27.

And that's where we hope you come in! We really want our next plan to speak to the needs and priorities of Oregon libraries and the people they serve. Below is a link to a survey asking about you and your library's priorities for the coming five years.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ORLSTAeval21

The survey is short, 10-12 questions. It asks some basic library demographic questions (e.g. library type, your role in the library, etc.), a couple of multiple choice questions about priorities, and five open-ended questions where you can tell us about you and your library. The list of questions is attached. We ask that surveys be completed by the end of the day on Sunday, November 28.

If you're reading this message and wondering whether you're a person or library we'd like to respond to the survey, the answer is yes! We want to hear from as many people from the Oregon library community as would like to respond, no matter your library type, position in the library, amount of time you've been in libraries, or whether you're associated with a library at all. Your responses to these questions will help us determine how to focus the estimated $12-13 million in LSTA funds we'll be receiving over the next five years.

The survey won't be your only opportunity to give input about our next LSTA plan. There are also some upcoming town hall meetings<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/lstagrants/eval> where you can share ideas with our consultants. More information on the town halls is available from the link, but I'll send out additional info next week, too.

Thank you so much for your time and thoughts as we plan how the State Library will support libraries moving forward. Your thoughts are most appreciated!

Cheers!

Buzzy Nielsen, MPP, MSI (he/him/his)
Program Manager, Library Support & Development Services
State Library of Oregon
buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov> | 971-375-3486
www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[Logo for the Library Support & Development Services division at the State Library of Oregon]<http://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>