[kids-lib] Graphic Novels, Classification, Shelving

Taylor Worley taylorlgkw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 12:07:58 PST 2022

Hi folks,

Would anyone be willing to share how they are shelving graphic novels in
their kids/tweens collections? With the recent uptick in the number of
beginning reader and transitional titles available in graphic novel format,
I'm seeing a vital need to distinguish between them (e.g. middle grade
graphic novel vs. beginning reader graphic novel), instead of just shelving
them all together in a "kids graphic novels" section/collection.

Right now my instinct is to shelve the introductory graphic novels with the
beginning readers and add the our GN genre/spine label, but I'm quite
curious what everyone else is doing or considering.

Thanks!

*Taylor Worley (she/her)                                                 *Youth
Services Librarian
Springfield Public Library
225 5th Street
Springfield, OR 97422