[kids-lib] Friday, May 27th Shoutout

BERGQUIST Greta E * SLO Greta.BERGQUIST at slo.oregon.gov
Fri May 27 08:27:26 PDT 2022

Hello everyone,

I realize the resources I sent out on Wednesday focus on serving our families and assumes the grownups are all okay. It seems reasonable to not be okay with the violence of the past week. I know some of you revisited your safety plans this week and I hope those are helpful. I wanted to share a few resources as you navigate serving the public in a time that continues to be challenging and sorrowful. You may already know about these, feel free to disregard if they're not useful.

The link of resources Suzanne Harold sent out from NAEYC<https://www.naeyc.org/our-work/families/coping-with-violence> has a great excerpt you can download on Caring for Yourself, from the book Trauma and Young Children: Strategies to Support and Empower<https://www.naeyc.org/resources/pubs/books/trauma-and-young-children>. If the excerpt is helpful, consider checking it out.

The National Child Traumatic Stress Network has a lot of fact/tip sheets<https://www.nctsn.org/audiences/families-and-caregivers?search=&resource_type=All&trauma_type=11&language=All&audience=29&other=All> that may be helpful for your families, but also for you!

Lastly, the National Association of School Psychologists<https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources-and-podcasts/school-safety-and-crisis/mental-health-resources/trauma/managing-strong-emotional-reactions-to-traumatic-events-tips-for-families-and-teachers> remind us anger is a very common reaction to trauma and suggest seeking out someone to talk to. Likely many of your cities have Employee Assistance Programs available, I encourage you to use those if you have access to them. You can also use the Oregon Safe and Strong hotline<https://www.safestrongoregon.org/mental-and-emotional-health/get-help-now/safe-strong-helpline> at any time.

I hope you can eat a good meal with people you care about this weekend and know that we appreciate your work over here!

Take good care,
Greta

Greta Bergquist, MLIS, MAT (she/her/hers)
Youth Services Consultant
State Library of Oregon
greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov>  | 971-375-3549
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[Title: State Library of Oregon]