[kids-lib] Author program opportunity

Holly Campbell-Polivka Hollyc at tigard-or.gov
Mon Jan 8 16:29:10 PST 2024

I got an email from a long time Tigard patron, Ashley Smith, who is offering a class for teachers and librarians. I am sharing the information, but not endorsing because I haven’t had the chance to participate. I thought someone might be interested. I have cc’d Ashley to this email in case you have any questions. See details below.

I taught 5th and 2nd grade before my kids were born and since then have worked for our small family business putting on classes for teachers.

The reason I'm writing to you is that for 34 years our business, TINT (The Innovative Northwest Teacher), has put on an Author Speakers series.  I grew up getting to attend the class and meet authors!!!

In 2020 we switched to having online classes.  Now I get to host the seven Zoom sessions, hearing from a different author each time.

This year we will hear from these 7 presenters, including two current OBOB Authors:

Mac Barnett

James Ponti

Joanna Ho

Tracey Baptiste

Gennifer Choldenko

Molly Idle

Dan Gemeinhart

It used to be that in order to attend the class people had to pay the price our students pay to earn continuing education graduate credit and it was too expensive for public and school librarians that didn't need that credit.  So this year we added an option where people can pay $200 to participate in the virtual sessions and not need to complete any of the coursework.

The authors share about their lives, books, writing process and how to best use their books with kids.  They are very fun and inspirational!

Here is the link to our website about the class, this year's presenters and registration.

https://www.tint-edu.com/author-class

The classes are on one or two Tuesday nights a month starting 1/30.  Some people show their faces on camera.  Others chose not to, which is fine.  There is always an opportunity for questions and answers.

It would mean the world to me if you could share about our class with other librarians.  We are hoping the new $200 option will make our class accessible for public children's librarians.  Since the class is online, they can be from anywhere!

Ashley