[Libs-Or] Jobline 9/5/03 CORRECTION
speer_robin_d at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Fri Sep 5 11:48:35 PDT 2003
My apologies to Marylhurst University.....this announcement is for a
position located in Marylhurst, Oregon (not Washington!)
Department: Shoen Library
Reports To: Vice President for Academic Administration
Classification: Faculty. Full-Time. Exempt.
Purpose of Position: To plan, coordinate, and direct all services and
operations of the Marylhurst University Shoen Library. Provide leadership by
performing short and long-term planning for the Library including
developing, implementing and evaluating library services.
1. Develop and implement systems and processes to meet the library
informational needs of students, faculty, staff, consortia members, and the
community, to provide quality service to meet those needs.
2. Assess collection, equipment, facility, personnel, and new service needs
of the library and develop recommendations and plans for implementation of
3. Oversee the development of the library collection including housing,
maintenance, and preservation to support the University curriculum.
4. Establish policies, procedures, and standards for the efficient and
effective operation of the library including collections, reference,
circulation, acquisitions, cataloging, on-line systems, computer labs,
bibliographical controls, interlibrary loan, and maintaining consortia
memberships and agreements.
5. Lead and develop a strong library staff through selection, supervision,
development, and evaluation. Supervise and schedule employees to ensure
adequate coverage and support during open hours.
6. Oversee the finances of the library by monitoring all fiscal operations
including preparing the annual budget and approving departmental
7. Manage library building operations including implementing staff
procedures to ensure the security of the collection, computer labs, and
building. Works with the Facilities Department to plan for short and
long-term building needs and capital improvements.
8. Support the Office of Institutional Advancement to develop external
resources and relationships to support Shoen Library¹s programs including
assisting in fund raising and grant writing opportunities.
9. Ensure Shoen Library cooperation, participation and leadership in local,
state, and regional library groups and consortiums. Participates on
committees and boards.
10. Serve on University committees and task forces including University
11. Perform other responsibilities as required.
1. Master¹s in Library Science (MLS) from an ALA accredited school required.
Doctorate or subject Master¹s degree preferred.
2. Five years of progressively responsible management experience in an
academic library exhibiting excellent planning and organization skills.
3. Broad knowledge and understanding of the field of library science
including history, trends, and current issues.
4. Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a library staff of approximately
10 employees in addition to a large pool of work study students.
5. Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills with demonstrated
effectiveness relating to and communicating with various internal and
6. Demonstrated ability to manage fiscal resources of approximately
including experience in budget preparation.
To Apply: Contact Amy Keller, Human Resources, Marylhurst University, PO Box
261, Marylhurst, OR 97036, 503-699-6256
-- Robin Speer
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97302
503-378-4243 ext. 221
Fax # 503-585-8059
Robin.d.speer at state.or.us
More information about the Libs-Or