[Libs-Or] Technical Services/Acquisitions Assistant position open
slsilver at nwcc.edu
Thu Feb 23 09:10:39 PST 2006
For application information please contact:
Beverly Park, Director of Human Resources
828 E. 11th Ave. Eugene, OR 97401
bpark at nwcc.edu
Technical Services/Acquisitions Assistant Department:
20 Hours per week
Technical Services Librarian Hourly Pay Rate: DOE
Open: February 8, 2006
Closes: March 8, 2006
Northwest Christian College Overview:
Northwest Christian College is a Christian, private, liberal-arts, comprehensive college closely affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and the Christian Churches/Churches of Christ - approximately 15% of NCC's students are from these two church bodies. Northwest Christian College also has an ecumenical interest and offers its resources to students and congregations of many church traditions. These students are affiliated with denominational and non-denominational groups, such as Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist, Foursquare, Lutheran, Nazarene, Episcopal, Assembly of God, Catholic, and Community Churches. The College was founded in 1895 and is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. Located in the city of Eugene, Oregon - population 145,000 (one hour from the Coast, one hour from the Cascade Mountains, ninety minutes south of Portland). Northwest Christian College enrolls an undergraduate and graduate student body of 500 students (150 residential). Northwest Christian College was most recently ranked by U.S. News and World Report fifteen overall among forty comprehensive Colleges in the Western Region. This is an exciting time in NCC's history with the college planning for enrollment growth, additional buildings, and renovations
Job Summary: This person is responsible to the Director of Kellenberger Library for duties performed and works under the immediate supervision of the Technical Services Librarian. He/she performs tasks of moderate to advanced difficulty above the level of College Work Study student assistants. The position requires considerable knowledge of purchasing processes and procedures (acquisitions), general computer skills, and library procedures. Knowledge of library classification and computer systems would also be helpful. The position also requires considerable skill and ability to follow established procedures with attention to detail. The person should be self-motivated and able to work independently as well as working in a team.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists the Technical Services Librarian in all functions to acquire, process and maintain the collection of materials and to achieve efficient operations of the department. May help plan and coordinate processes and workflows.
2. Assists in training and supervision of college work-study students.
3. Assists in the Acquisitions process.
4. Assists in the continual process of database management.
5. Assists with special projects as determined by the Technical Services Librarian (e.g. Microsoft Access or Excel reports).
6. May search, edit bibliographic data, order card sets, update and export bibliographic records in OCLC in association with database management, special projects or regular cataloging.
7. May perform simple cataloging tasks such as assigning Cutter numbers, revising processed materials, etc.
8. Helps plan, set up and supervise the monthly, quarterly and annual compilation of statistics.
9. Helps maintain the Policy Manual.
10. Provides backup and trouble shooting assistance for all Technical Services computers and software.
11. Assists with procedures for opening, closing, and other security measures in the Library as needed.
12. May provide backup to the Circulation Desk.
Experience and Qualification Requirements:
1. Previous work in a College setting, with at least one year of college or an associate degree.
2. Library experience is highly desirable.
3. Knowledge of general Acquisitions (purchasing) and/or Accounting principles and procedures.
4. Knowledge and ability to apply general computer functions to specific library applications.
5. Ability to work accurately, follow directions precisely, and to complete tasks thoroughly with attention to detail.
6. Ability to work well with people and as a team with other staff members.
7. Ability to be self-directed and stay on-task.
8. Ability to utilize Windows based software including, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
9. Experience utilizing email for the purposes of organizational communications.
Working Conditions/Special Requirements:
1. Listening skills and the ability to speak and write clearly are essential to the position. Individual must possess exceptional interpersonal and communications skills.
2. NCC employees must have a maturing Christian Faith and be supporting of NCC's mission to develop competent, ethical leaders for service in the workplace, community, Church and world.
3. The employee must be supportive of the Kellenberger Library's core purpose "to foster individual God-given potential and develop Christ-like global citizens."
4. The employee must be supportive of and exemplify the Kellenberger Library's core values: Individual Growth and Promise, Service, Stewardship, Respect for People, and Faith.
5. Position requires working in a no smoking office environment with some lifting and exertion for short periods.
1/2006 CREATION DATE
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Libs-Or